Sign in to follow this  
telecaster

Interesting Smallie technique

I was watching In-fisherman last night and they were using this approach for smallies. They tied on a Skitter-pop (hookless I think?) about a three foot leader tied to the back with a wacky rigged plastic.Using the Skitter-pop as a float/attractor ,in an open water situation over baitfish. Looked like something differant to try, has any one tried this? 8-)

We fish like that for snapper blues in the bay and tributaries up here.  Its not a skitter pop though, it's a float with a cupped top.  It's long like a skitter pop though.  My question is why take the hooks off?  They might hit that popper!

The note at the bottom of the screen said that it is illegal in some states to have the hooks on both lures.  The skitter-pop was to get their attention and also pose as a float.  This discussion has also come up in regards to using a jig in place of the sinker for C-rigs.  Not sure what the regulations are around here, but do know a few guys who use jigs on a C-rig.

We used a similar rig for Spotted Sea Trout but with either a real or artificial shrimp hanging of the back. Sometimes we used and old popping lure and but some times we used a popping cork make for the technique. At times you could use a sand worm to imitate a small eel and it would drive them wild.

post-10877-130163005136_thumb.jpg

The note at the bottom of the screen said that it is illegal in some states to have the hooks on both lures. The skitter-pop was to get their attention and also pose as a float. This discussion has also come up in regards to using a jig in place of the sinker for C-rigs. Not sure what the regulations are around here, but do know a few guys who use jigs on a C-rig.

That interests me, esp. after just reading an article in FLW Outdoors about a guy fishing a football jig on the bottom like a C-rig.

So just tie the jig on like normal with a palomar knot and tie a lizard or floating worm onto the tag end?

Hmmm, I might have to try that tomorrow.

ive thought alot about that jig idea and also of using a finesse jig or even shakey head as the weight on a dropshot.  i never get around to trying it because often im more interested in catching fish than in being innovative and trying to learn something that may help me catch more fish.  a jig with a 10 inch worm behind it might not only pick up some jig bites but even help the worm bite as it may appear like something larger chasing something smaller (the jig).  my guess is that the drop shot would work well and i cant really think of a reason it would work less than a traditional dropshot other than increased snags (which ill trade for a few fish any day)

if its illegal where does that leave things like a double fluke rig?  obviously in the ocean double rigs like bottom rigs or bucktails are the norm but i dont know the regulations for bass fishing.

matt