Sign in to follow this  
Bassassasin12

Recent discovery...

Alright guys here is my latest discovery.

I was out golfing today and noticed a chain of ponds, almost small lakes. Some of them are extremely mucky, like complete algae, you can't even see water. Some of them are nice and clear but pretty shallow.  There are others that have a mixture of both. All in all I would say there is about 6 ponds and then a little creek as well. I have no clue where to start with these bodies of water. What to throw, where to throw it... where to start??? I don't have any braid so I am kind of throwing the swampy pond just completely out. I am going there tomorrow and was thinking about starting at the clear clean pond with a senko just to see if there are fish in there. I have a feeling once I get these ponds figured out it could become a really good fishery because it is very low pressured for a golf course pond. Anyone know where I shoulds start. I will be using a 6'6'' St Croix Triumph w/ a Pflugger President spinning reel with 12 pound Berkly Trilen XL Smooth cast.

For ponds, my favorite thing to do is throw on a topwater lure, usually a frog. The other lure I usually throw in ponds is a T-rigged Berkley PowerTube. Scent always seems to catch more fish for me than anything in ponds.

Weightless soft plastics, light t rigs, and topwaters are some of my favorite pond lures. I think you are right on with the senkos. Since ponds are usually shallow all around they match very well with senkos, flukes etc. I like t rigging with a 1/16 oz bullet weight and a 5 or 6 inch worm. Why would you need braid for the murky pond? If there is a lot of thick cover you might need heavier line but braid is not a necessity by any means.  Target cover and structure like you would in any other body of water. Make casts parallel to the shore where possible. Just be sure you have permission to fish the ponds.

mdangler I would prefer braid just so I can muscle the fish right out of there but you are right with the heavier line. It is a public pond too there are signs that list the regulations of it.

The first 3 things i will throw

1. 3-4" tube with 1/18th oz. insider

2. 5" senko style bait wacky rigged

3. Brightly colored tandem spinnerbait, one gold and one silver blade

What kind of bottom type is there? Are shakey worms a possibility? Also, if no fish are biting, target any cover and twitch a small floating rapala minnow, i mean like a 3" long minnow, it will always catch fish, and i have even caught fish close to 3 lbs. on it. And if they are very inactive. Ill always get a bite slow twitching a mr. wiggly.

When I approach a new pond I have never fished, First I dicide the bast way to "sneak up" on it so I won't spook any fish. Then, I fish a senko, step by step and cast by cast all the way around the pond's perimiter, taking advantage of whatever oppotunites come along. I cover the water ahead of me, sometimes going deep towards the center, sometings casting the the shore ahead, sometimes none of the above.

If nothing else, you will at least come away with a good knowlege of the pond that will be very useful the second time you fish it.

The most important thing I have learned by doing this, is NEVER write a pond off just because you have fished it once, and never even got a bite.

I hope ya knock them out!

Update on the new discovery. Drove a little farther down with my uncle and found one of the old places he used to fish. It is like a 50 acre lake with a little pier that you can walk out on and fish and a boat launch. We launced a little jon boat out there and went shallow to the fallen timber, nothing. Found some other decent spots and still got nothing. So then we pulled back in and decided to try our luck off the pier. Caught one really small baby bass, some 1-2 pounders, some bluegill(those thins bite senkos surprisingly.) and saw some HUGE carp. Will defenitly be going back there I am glad I found this place.