Sign in to follow this  
bass ackwards

how would you fish this lake?

hi guys and gals!! i need some good advice for what i think may be the hardest conditions for lmb known to man kind.im yet to fish in the lake i own property on  because of that opinion.which i hope im wrong.the lake is 350 acres and is as clear as the sky(blue)you can see 30 feet dwn.it has no vegetation at all. it has thick reeds around the banks probably 20 to 40 ft from shore. it is (from what im told) 50 to 80 ft at its deepest part some where in there. it also stays cooler then most lakes here in the florida panhandle due to spring fed. i know there is lots of life and was told of big bass caught.the lake is a little bit of a jog for my fishing partner and i, so i figure with ya'lls help i will tear-um-up instead of a skunk.p.s. the lake is called silver lake in jackson county fl.          thnx BA

I fish a lake exactly like that And I also cannot think of anything tougher.

You need to have an ultralight spooled with 4-lb test green shade line for when the bite is slow. Use small plastics on this rod. I use straight tail worms cut down to 3 to 3 1/2 in long.  

You don't always have to downsize for clear water. I also use a rod with 17 lb green shade line. My number one lure on that is a white willow blade spinnerbait. Trim the skirt down to one inch and add a trailer and a couple of split shot to keep it running at the right depth. Burn this lure past any spot that looks like it would hold a bass. The trick is not to let the fish get a very good look at the lure.  Often the bass will come out and crush the lure. But more often, he will come out and stop short. Since the water is so clear, you can see the bass chase the lure and go back to his ambush site. This is where the ultralite rod comes in.

Another method that works for me is using a heavy jig. Trim the skirt to almost nothing like the spinnerbait. Then pitch into anything that could hold bass. As soon as the jig gets to the right depth, Rip the jig like you are setting the hook on a 10 lb bass and then reel like crazy to pick up slack. This can be a killer method but you will miss alot of fish. You can do this down deep or around cover.

Also, topwater is deadly in clear water when the conditions are right. Look for days when wind or rain is breaking up the surface. Use something that you can retrieve quickly and that has an erratic action. Try a buzzbait or a zara. These are my two favorites. Also try fishing at night. You cannot go wrong with a jitterbug while fishing at night. You can also get by with fishing bigger lures and slower retrieves at night.

Hope this helps.

How much cooler do you think it is?  I can't imagine it being that "cool" in Florida - even if it is spring fed.  If it is that cool, I would stay close to the edges and surface where its a little warmer - would try a buzz or surface/shallow crank bait with a fast retrieve.  I would be throwing all kinds of jigs and plastics into and around the reeds where it looks like the hawgs might be hiding out.  Would use a heavy line 15 to 20 lb; with a blue or green color to it around the reeds.

Good luck.

Eddie  

im not sure of the temps yet but i dont think it will read 90 degrees like most. but i have to emphisize the clearity big time. i think my first go at it will be at night. thnx again

Sure sounds like it would be a pretty lake.  

If the water is that clear, probably be fun to fly fish it some too.  Don't know how successful it would be, but, for me would be fun just to try to put a few big bugs and some wets near those reeds and see what would happen.  

Good luck and be sure to share how it goes when you get back out there.

Eddie