Sign in to follow this  
Valascus

River Tributary Differences?

I posted about a week ago concerning a fishing trip on 8/26 on the Cuivre River (which is one of the Mississippi Rivers many tributaries and sloughs in Missouri. The thread was "River Fishing Re-Hash I believe.). Our landing point was supposed to be a spot on the Cuivre in Old Monroe. We have been monitoring the water levels in that area and have found that the Missouri Dept. of Conservation has deemed the waters too low for boat travel. Now we have changed our landing spot to another nearby slough called the Dardenne Slough which is still very close to the Cuivre.

Now for my question: How much can two tributaries that are so close to each other vary in things such as water clarity, depth, species distribution, forage types, and structure? I have been doing pretty extensive research on the Cuivre and had a pretty good plan of attack set up. I can't find any info on Dardenne Slough though and am just wondering how comparable it could be to the Cuivre. What are everyone else's experience with this matter? Have you found tributaries on rivers you fish to be pretty similar or wildly different? If so, in what ways? Thanks for any input! Appreciate it!

Heck if I can't find any info I'll probably just stick to my guns...either that or I'll just wing it. ;)

The fishing could be different.I would check to see where the nearest tackle or sporting goods store is and go bug em". ;)

Guest ouachitabassangler

Go to http://www.google.com and search for the two destinations. There's plenty of information on them.

Just the type of soil a channel passes through can make all the difference in clarity. We get red clay in the Arkansas River at Pine Bluff, AR originating in Oklahoma after a heavy rain way upstream. Elevation changes along the course determine flow rates. Lack of agricultural activity on a channel tends to keep the water clearer, such as those passing through the Ozarks. Those passing through agri areas are often warmer that those spilling from mountain forests.

Jim

I just think I am gonna wing it. For some reason I can't find anything but a lot of yachting club websited when I type in Dardenne Slough. I'll just follow my instinct and see where it takes me. That's if we even go now...Saturday: Showers and Thunderstorms likely. We all know what lightining can do...so depending on the weather outlook we may have to scrap the boat trip and just bank fish somewhere. :(