Sign in to follow this  
fishbear

Bass Attractants/Pheromones

I was watching the Outdoor Channel a few weeks ago, and saw a show by Hank Parker.  He pitched a product that was a Bass Pheromone.  I can not remember the name of it, but he claimed that the two guys in the boat with him used it, while he did not.  The other two guys caught 7 fish each to his 1.  ;)  Anyone see that show, and can you tell me the name of that product.  I was discussing this with a Co-worker, and for the life of me, could not recall it.

Mustad Ultrabite is the product. I've been using it for a year, and have been experimenting. It does seem to make a positive difference. There may be some other products out there. I haven't really looked for any others. I've been stuffing a cotton ball in a tube, a couple of drops of the juice, and make repeated casts to the same area. It takes a while for the scent to become dispersed through the area. I'll add more to the tube after each dozen or so casts. The other way I've tried is soaking a rock and chucking it out into the middle of a small cove and then come bcak to it after 20-30 minutes. It's pretty amazing stuff. There have to be fish in the area. It doesn't seem to draw them in from any distance, but does seems to turn on any that are already there. If you try it, beware of the smell. It really stinks. My first try ended with the smell on my pants, thus in my car seats. My wife wouldn't get in my car for better than a month. This stuff smells nasty. I've ended up keeping the small bottle in a ziplock bag sealed inside a small tupperware container, it smells that bad!

Good luck,

GK

I picked up a bottle of it at the Richmond Bassarama but have never used it.

I thought it was only for the spring spawning season.

I may give it a try next time out.

And thanks for the tip on how to use it.  I was just going to put some on a worm and then cast it out.

ghoti is right the stuff does stink bad but it seems to work fished a spot once knew there were fish there no bites remembered I had the stuff and put a little on my lure and bang first cast fish on continued to catch more fish 12 in all if I remember.

I also remeber that the guys selling the stuff had a small plastic vile that you could put the fluid in and it would be released very slowly.

Dumb me did not buy it as I did not know better.

However, from reading whay you all say, I think you could put the vile on your line a foot or two from the bait to attract the fish.

I am going to try it this Thursday on the upper James River where there is a good smallmouth population.  I hope it works.