Sign in to follow this  
Shad_Master

How would you approach this one?

I have a club tournament comming up in a couple of weeks on a local lake.  The lake has been very low for the last couple of years and it was even difficult, if not impossible, to get a glass boat launched earlier this year.  Now the rains have come and the lake is up 3-4 feet from it's lowest point and there are weeds anywhere from 10' to 30' all along the bank.  There is a feeder creek that is 6' to 8' deep at one end and the channel meanders around the upper end of the lake until it meets a road bed that intersects the lake.  The channel is 10' to 12' deep and the ditches along the road bed are 8' to 10' deep with the road bed being 4' and the flats along the the channel being 3' to 4' deep.  There is not a lot of standing timber on this lake and the few visible brush piles along one end of the road bed get hammered by crappie and blue gill fishermen as well as the bass fishermen.

I fished this one Friday and we found small fish (10" to 13") on the channel breaks and where the road bed intersects and fished it yesterday and found tons of smaller fish on the edges of the weeds all around the lake.  I know there are bigger fish on this lake, but can't figure out how to find them or catch them.  Any suggestions are welcome -- if you need more info, I will try to provide it.  Thanks for your contributions.

Where those smaller grass fish are, back off and fish the secondary break of that grass. (meant think of the grass as the bank, there is another area in front of that grass where it drops off again.)

Also in the creek bends, where there is some type of ambush spots, try those out too. If you can find a creek that has rip rap at the mouth of it, or along the wall, this should be a good spot too.

Meant to add something, sorry:

To catch the bigger fish, throw bigger baits. jigs, longer worms, etc.

I would try  dropshot on the outer edges of the weedsand anywhere there is access in the weeds, also if weeds are thick or matted in shallow areas I would use a weedless topwater, frog, rat, plastic spoon etc..Where the weeds are under the surface, I woul use buzz baits, popers, chuggers etc to try and draw the bigguns out of the weeds, also shallow running crankbaits and spinner baits above the weeds. also I would rip a lippless crankbait above the weeds occasionally ticking the weed tops. Don't forget texas rigged soft plastics. If there are any docks available,or willow trees overhanging the water, a secko or simmilar type bait skipped underneath can bring results, make sure that you have a heavy enough line(Iprefer one of the braided super lins) to get the fish out and not break off on dock supports or other underwater obstructions. Hope this helps, post and let us know how you did.

Thanks for the input, but there are some things I should have added to my earlier request.  I think you guys may be on to something and I just want to try to refine it a little as I won't be able to check any of this out before tournament day.  First of all, there are no docks on the lake other than a fishing pier that is always loaded with crappie fishermen and can't be fished from a boat.  The grass on the edges stands from 2' to 6' above the water line and the water extends back in 10' to 30' and appears to be up to 3' to 4' deep at the outside edge.  There is not much in the way of cover on the breaklines other than a few brush piles that have been placed there by other fisermen and marked on their GPS (not for public display).  I know there are fish suspended on the channel breaks and along the ditches of the road bed, but so far they have all been in the 10" to 13" range.  I really believe the "bigger fish" are buried back in the standing grass, but don't have clue how to pull them out.

I really believe the "bigger fish" are buried back in the standing grass, but don't have clue how to pull them out.

If you have a heavy rod with braided line or 20lb+ mono, use a big 10" or 12" plastic worm Texas rigged with a heavy pegged bullet weight. Or better yet, , throw a jig & pig in that grass. Tighten your drag and when you hook em, winch em out of there fast or you'll lose em. You should be prepared to catch a lot of grass along the way. I love taking a big wad of grass off a bass to see how big he is. It's like opening a birthday present. JMHO

Ronnie