Sign in to follow this  
Bass Smacker

Need some advice

I put a post up on anuther fourm looking for a boater looking for a back seater. Well i get this e mail

today from this guy with a 21 foot triton powerd by 225merk wanting to go this weekend.

all have to do is meet him and pitchin for gas and buy lunch

Would you go I mean I know nothing about this person other than his name and what kind of boat he has. The delta is a big place.

Call and talk to him on the phone. That will give you a very good idea of what to expect. If he seems like your average straight forward guy, go for it. Assuming you are an adult man, I don't see much to worry about it. If you are a young guy, you might want to check him out a little more thoroughly. Keep a pocket knife handy in the extremely unlikely case that something goes wrong. The guy probably is just a normal fisherman. I mean he's rockin a 21footer, he probably isn't broke so i doubt he needs to rob anyone or something ridiculous. Just have a phone conversation. Make sure he isnt the booze/smoke pot type of fisherman. If at anytime throughout the day you become uncomfortable, you could arrange for someone to call you with an "emergency" if you text them. That way you have an excuse to get off of the water. Meet him at the marina, don't catch a ride from him. My best fishing buddy was met off of an online fishing forum, and we have since spent a couple hundred hours on the water together. I would go for it.

I think fourbizzle hit the nail on the head...........Talk to him.............Ask questions, let other people know where you are going and when you'll be back. Carry a cellphone. ......I think in general, most fisherman are on the "up & up".he probably needs someone to go with as bad as you do..........when you post on a forum asking for a boater..you have to expect that people will take you up on that offer.........You posted for a boater, now you have one(with a very nice set-up i might add).GO CATCH FISH!

Guest avid

I can understand your concern, but he responded to your post.

How long has he been a member of the forum?

If he's been active a long time, you can look at some of his past posts and get a "feel" for him.  But in that case I would feel comfortable.  By all means call him, but it sounds legit.  I would ask him how much gas he intends to use and where he likes to eat lucnch.  Like you said the delta is a big place.  He could run that huge motor all day and want a steak for lunch. Not as scary as a psycho killer, but a dam expensive day on the water.