Sign in to follow this  
longhair

Lake Turning

I keep hearing about the lake that I live on is getting ready to or starting to turn.  I know that this means that basically the top water being colder sinks and the bottom water being warmer rises.  What does this do to the Bass fishing?  Do they move to certain areas such as coves or do they go to the deeper water during this process?  Also is it true that a lake wil turn upto 4 times a year?

Depending on the size of the lake it may or may not turn over at the same time. On large lakes it starts back in the creek arms and contiues to the main lake. The sign to look for is a large number of bubbles.

When an area of a lake is turning over the bass will stop feeding for a few days due to low levels of oxygen in shallow water. But if you fish on a big lake you should be able to find a spot where the fish are active.

Normally in the areas starting to turnover, the fish suspend that are deeper, and the shallower fish put their nose up against a tree trunk, bury up in the grass, another words, its a tough bite.  

Matt.