Sign in to follow this  
indy basser

MegaBait & Osprey Swimbait

I am heading down to Clarks Hill in early March for a tournament. I am looking to purchase a few good blueback herring swimbaits and I'm down to the following two: Osprey Inline Heavy Full Body Talon and the MegaBait Charlie Swimbaits. I am leaning towards the Megabait but I was wondering if any of you guys have fished these or other blueback swimbaits? Also any tips on fishing blueback herring lakes? Based on my current research I am guessing we might get there right when the Herring are spawning which would be sweet. Thanks guys, you're the best!!! ;):) :)

http://www.***.com/descpageSWMMEGABAIT-MBC4C.html#

http://www.***.com/descpageSWMOSPREY-OFB.html

If I had to pick 1 of those go with the Osprey.

The magic swimmer is the best blueback imitation I think. It played a major role in the BASS events on lakes with them. Get one in Halo greenie in the 125 model.

I fished Hartwell and I am pretty sure the spawn in early May. Maybe its earlier there but I dont think its in early March. I think BASS fished there in April or May and the herring were spawining then. When I fished Hartwell in march we caught fish in main lake pockets with baitfish. And the bigger fish came on channel banks in creek arms and pockets. Maybe I am wrong but I am pretty sure you wont hit the blueback spawn?

I fished Hartwell and I am pretty sure the spawn in early May. Maybe its earlier there but I dont think its in early March. I think BASS fished there in April or May and the herring were spawining then. When I fished Hartwell in march we caught fish in main lake pockets with baitfish. And the bigger fish came on channel banks in creek arms and pockets. Maybe I am wrong but I am pretty sure you wont hit the blueback spawn?

Thanks a bunch, I rechecked my info and I noticed most of it came from herring that actually live in salt water.  I know it is the same species but I would guess living in fresh or salt water could make a difference.

Yeah I fished the Clarks Hill Elite last year during the end of April/ first of May and the Herring spawn was just getting ready to get good.

I second the magic swimmer 125 for the herring spawn.  Check out the new weighted ones as well.