Sign in to follow this  
ScroGG ToGG

Introducing Foreign Aquatic Plants

ok, i know theres been plenty of discussion on here about what happens/doesnt happen when introducing a foreign species, size, variation of fish into a body of water. My question is, does this hold true for aquatic plant life? i know there are plenty of water plants that exsist that would choke out and destroy the pre-exsisting vegetation. But my question is.... is this true for lily pads? I have TWO nice small lakes that recieve little to NO pressure. Sounds crazy i know, but especially one of the lakes, NO ONE ever fishes on. Anyways, my side-theory is, if i start growing lily pads on certain sections of the lake, it could zero down alot of the fish hunting i have to do and  increase a topwater bite around the new lily padded area(my favorite theory). i only know of one lake around my area with lily pads in it. could i transport some over? whattayall think?

Guest the_muddy_man

Taking a cue from Norton On the Honey Mooners the proper way to adress Foreign Aquatic Plants would be HELLO FORIEGN AQUATIC PALNTS

Not sure what the answer is, but here's my $.02: If there are lily pads in nearby ponds and none in this pond, that may be an indication that this particular pond just doesn't have the soil chemistry or water depths & temps to support them. Otherwise they'd be there. I'm almost certain that insects and birds have distributed the seeds to this pond from nearby ponds, but theyhaven't taken because the ecology isn't  there for them.

Lily pads are one of my very favorite types of cover. However, there's a reason they don't grow in that water and I wouldn't introduce them into it.