Sign in to follow this  
bassrogue

Hydrilla!!! EECK!

Hi,

I found a nice size pond near my house. The only problem is a 10-20 ft ring of hydrilla all the way around the pond.

I'm having a hard time catching anything or even getting a bite. I know there are bass in there. I can see little bass

swiming back and forth though the fish paths. There are minnows galore and one (I guess) carp the size of my leg.

I also saw two blue herons, so there is a great ecosystem here.

I was using mostly a topwater(pop-r and jitterbug) and a crawbug(1/8oz jig hook).

I'm wondering what is the best way to fish this type of pond.(I do have to fish from the bank)

Any suggestions about lures or how to fish them would be a big help. I've never fished in hydrilla

like this.

There's a hawg in there with my name on it. ;) I just got to figure out how to get him. ;D

BR

No way, that stuff is great.  I use an *** "stick" ( a senko) or a zoom super fluke over the edges texas rigged.  The edge that is to the deep end.  Just let the bait fall over the edge and twitch it.  Forget anything with a treble, you will pull up a bag full of that slop.  I have the same problem in my pond, it took a while but I got me a pig or two out of it.  Braid also helps, since the bass will come out wrapped in that stuff (2-3lbs of wet sloppy weed alone).  Just my .02, I am a rookie myself.

Alex

I would try pitching a 3/8 oz jig into the weeds and try jigging it up and down.  Not much, almost just jiggling it up and down.  Make sure you have atleast a MH rod, and either braid, or high lb test mono, like 20#, so you can horse that pig out of those weeds.  You can also try pitching a senko into the holes in the weeds that you can see.  

If it is cold where you live, chances are that a topwater lure won't get many or any bass.  Atleast that's how it is around Pittsburgh this time of year.  

You will get alot about what lure to use, but let me tell you about the hydrilla you will be fishing. First of all I love that stuff. It is a great place for bait to hide and the water should be rich with disolved oxygen. That only means that there are bass in there to. The great thing about hydrilla is that it breaks easy. You can quickly and easily break you lure free from it. The method of doing this is to let your line go slack and give it a strong quick upward pop of the rod. This will clear the weed from the line and keep the lure fishing for you. The best rig I know of for hydrilla is a light 1/32 or 1/8 oz mojo rig.

Throw a heavy jig in there and use braided line.  You'll get bit, but you'll have to fight to get the fish out of that stuff.

Thanks for the tips guys. :)

I'm going back out there this weekend. I'll try flippin some senkos on to the holes and edges. I'll try jiggin some more too.

Oh man!  :D This means I get to take out the BC setup for the first time. Ive been practicing my cast in the yard and flippin

into buckets in my garage. I'll see if all this practicing pays off.

Hopfully it pays out in hawgs. ;D

BR

Another bait to try is a BPS Uncle Bucks buzzer.  It's an in-line buzz bait that will stay on top of the junk if you keep the rod tip up and reel fast enough.  The blade will turn every time it hits even the slightest bit of open water. Most standard buzzbaits are useless in that kind of junk.

Guest avid

Me love hydrilla.

Rig a tube or creature bait with a 1/2 oz pegged bullet weight and braided line.  Cast into a pocket then work it back.  When it gets stuck a little, just rip it through.   POW .  hog heaven