Sign in to follow this  
Got Bass?

Flippin & Pitchin

Does anyone have any good websites to learn how to flip and pitch and/or practice techniques for flippin and pitchin? Thank Ya'll ;D

There are a few articles about flippin and pitchin in this website's articles section.Good stuff,check it out.

Thanks, I have already looked at them, I cant really follow the step-by-step instructions. They're kind of confusing. Im looking for a video.

man i am sorry i cant help you out :( i no how to flip and pitch, but it is really hard to write it...you almost need a demonstration....i learned how to flip on my own about 2-3 years ago. i was doing it, and then i got on the internet a few weeks later, and BAM..there it was..i had never knew it was an actual fishing move.

Hello Got Bass,

You can go to Bassmasters.com or I have seen a lot of good articles in here. Is their a local club in your area or maybe some B.A.S.S. Federation Chapters near you? I was involved with the Maryland Bass Federation for a lot of years and  we had a regular Youth chapter and many of us volunteered to teach techniques and so on. We  also volunteered as boat captains and had many bass tourneys for the younger bassers for the federation as well as putting them together on our own. I hope there is a local Youth chapter near you. Go to Bassmasters.com and check out what your state and area have to offer. Read up on the basics of flippin and pitchin and then after that, practice,practice,etc.....This is by far my favorite way to catch largemouth bass. I love flippin jigs and it  certainly is a big fish method as well as fun. It may look difficult to you now but after you get these two techniques down they will become second nature to you. Good luck in your endeavors---Jim        http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/youth/news/story?page=b_youth_program_overview

Don't be afraid to go up and ask someone.

I was getting the oil changed in my car a few weeks ago and the guys in the garage saw the fishing rods in the car. They asked me if I knew how to pitch and flip and if I would show them how. I had no problem with that. So I spent the next few minutes showing them how. It was fun and the owner of the place gave me a discount to boot.

So if you are at the gas station or something and you see a truck pulling up with a boat in tow. Don't be afraid to go up and ask. You might be surprised what happens.

I tend to pitch much more than flip.  I loosten the spool tension on the reel a lot more than I do for normal casting.  Some people hold the lure, others don't.  I prefer to hold the lure in my left hand to put a slight bit of tension on the line.  Then you just flick the rod tip towards the target, releasing the lure.  You'll have to play with spool tension until you get it where you want it.  Go outside and set up a coffee can about 20-30' away and practice until you can drop the lure in the can.  Consider it a sort of underhanded cast.  You'll need to practice, for sure.

Flipping:

Put you rod at a 12 o'clock position and engage and reel and put your thumb on the spool.

Pay out enough line so that your lure has dropped down even with the reel.

While your lure is even with the reel grab the line at the reel with your other hand laying the line at your finger tips. You want to pull out enough line from the reel so that the lure is still even with the reel and the line is taught but at a right angle from the reel. You want the line from the reel to your hand to have like a bow and arrow effect while the lure is still even with the reel.

Now you want to swing the lure as if your rod was a cane pole without a reel and your thumb still clamped on the spool. When the lure reaches the object you want to bring the line that is in the other hand back to the rod. The line in your hand is there to give the lure enough slack on the fall so that it falls straight to the bottom.

Pitching:

Set your reel as free as you can with no magnets. You want to set the reel to the lure you are pitching so that when you engage the reel the lure falls to the ground with the magnets set on zero you don't get a backlash.

*Remember that you set the antibacklash breaks to zero and before you make a regular cast. Make sure you reset them otherwise you will be sorry you forgot.

You want to put your rod at a 12 o'clock position and engage your reel and let the lure fall till it is even with the reel with your thumb clamped down on the spool.

Take the lure in the opposite hand.

Dip the rod to a 9 o'clock position with your rod hand palm down. Use the same swinging motion as you did with the flip but let go of the lure and let it swing.

As the lure swings out lightly feather the spool while giving out line.

Practice by setting out a cup and try to get the lure in the cup at a distance away. You want the lure to land in the cup soft and under control.