Sign in to follow this  
bubbler

winter bass fishin

For winter, the first bait I reach for is a jig.  I think the Rodstrainer jig is the best, but they are only available online where I live.  My second favorite is the Revenge jig.  Black/blue, black/brown, and black or brown with either orange or purple strands seem to be the colors of choice for winter.  In cold water, a pork trailer performs better than a plastic trailer.  I also like to use a single or twin tail grub as a trailer or sometimes, I take a brushhog and cut off the end and use that.  Bounce it down steep banks and work it slow, letting it sit for a minute before twitching it.  For some reason, bass hate it when a jig sits still.  They will watch it sit and move closer and as soon as you move it again...bang.  Use scent and dont forget to let it sit for awhile before moving it.

Second bait choice: deep suspending ripbait (Luckycraft Staysee, River 2 Sea fetch minnow 88, Smithwick deep suspending rattlin' rogue).  I like to work it on the down side of a steep ledge and use very long pauses between rips.  The bait will get down 7 to 10 feet and the idea is that the staging or lethargic bass in 20 feet of water down the bank will come up to get the bait.  They always hit it on the pause.  You wont get many strikes, but when you do, it will be a quality fish.

In deep water, another go to bait is the drop shot.  Use small roboworms for this.

A lot of guys like to use spoons in the winter and jig them off the bottom.  This is not a technique that I am any good at, so I'll leave that to you to try.

ever tried senkos? I heard that they work pretty good..... but what presentation to use with them? twitch, wacky style, lead head, or what?  I usually use jigs with trailers myself. 8-)

Believe it or not I've had a lot of luck with rattle traps in the winter. I use a yo-yo retrieve. They'll hit it on the fall. I guess they can't stand to have something that looks like a shad drop right in front of their face.