Sign in to follow this  
blackrose55x

Found new lake to fish... can't find the bass!!!

I have found a new small private lake that appears to hold a lot of potential. The lake has several docks on it and a few of them are floating docks. Most of the docks are in pretty shallow water too. There is a water plant that grows up out of the water that completely encircles the lake, and is sometimes about 6 foot wide. The lake is only about 50 acres and is rarely fished because it is not open to the public. I just know someone that has a lake lot that lets me fish it. I have fished there for several hours on a few different days and have only caugt a few bass. The most success was with watermelon senkos and that was only for a little bit. I caught a small bass the other day there with a c-rigged lizard, because i was feeling the bottom and it felt pretty rocky, and dirt covered. Any advice would help.

Just a few questions and suggestions to get more context of the situation:

1.  Have you asked the friend giving access to the lake if they have had any luck fishing?

2.  What part of the country is the lake in?  

3.  Try different hours of the day (early morning, evening, etc)

4.  Are you fishing the lake via boat or on shore?

5.  What is the max and average depth of the lake?

6.  Are there any weeds that could provide cover to bass?

7.  How old is the lake?

Well snagmaster...

1. I'm a;ways with them when they fish.

2. SE Missouri

3. Fished times from 4 pm to after dark

4. boat

5. Max: Not positive probably not deeper than 15-20 Average: Not sure at some points its very shallow, and in the middle it is pretty deep... So cant really tell you.

6. There are weeds nearly completely surrounding it and they are weeds that have underwater roots, but are above the water surface about a foot, and are very thick in most parts... difficult to cast into from what ive seen.

7. It is very old i am not sure exactly but it is old enough that it should have good bass in it.

The first thing I'd try is getting out there in the early AM (sunrise or just before).  Especially in the heat of heat of the summer, getting out early can be key.  

If you haven't already, you might want to give some topwaters a try.  I've had good luck with things ranging from a small Rapala popper to a texas rigged weightless Zoom frog.  

You may be close to something with your senko plan.  I've had good luck with them lately rigged wacky style and fished on the inside and outside weed edges as well as around rocks.  If there are any openings in the weeds, those would be key areas to drop one in as well.  I usually fish them in fairly shallow water (<5') and just let them free-fall to the bottom.  This has worked for me throughout the day even during clear skies and calm water.

I'm definitely no pro, but do like to try and figure out new lakes. ;)  Hopefully you get at least one idea from my ramblings that you deem worth a shot.  I'd definitely be interested in what you find that works for you.  Good luck!