Sign in to follow this  
bassin_man

What tactics to use?

My friend and I are planning to head out to his cabin tonight to do some night fishing along with some bassin tomorrow.  It has rained probably somewhere around 2-3" the last couple of days here with highs in the high 70's maybe low 80's.  Tomorrow it looks like its going to be sunny with high in the mid-90's.  I'm expecting the water to be a bit murky.  We were planning on hitting shallow water weedbeds but not sure anymore.  What tactics would everyone use with these conditions?  Thanks

Rising water is always tricky.  Sometimes the bass go shallow, other times they go deep.  The best time to find out is early in the morning or later in the afternoon.  I'd start out with topwaters like a Pop-R, buzzbait, and original rapala floater.  If that failed to produce, I'd keep working my way deeper.  Flukes to spinnerbaits, spinnerbaits to crankbaits, crankbaits to jigs, jigs to T-rigs.  I'd expect there to be a good topwater bite in the shallows, especially around lights.  i'd also look hard for a jig bite in cover or around any drop offs.  Hope this helps.

I take it you are talking about a lake? If so I would go with buzzbait early, along with a Rico, Pop-R or Spook. My next choice would be a 1/2 Black Jig with a blue trailer, a 10 or 12" worm, and maybe a no. 5 and 7 Shad Rap. If its really dirty, flip boat docks, wood or any other structure around. On the rise and getting muddy pulls them up a little shallower. If there is current because of the higher water fish the current breaks. JMO.