Sign in to follow this  
Zel...

Gut Hooked Fish

Don't know if anybody has posted this article link before, but this is an interesting read on how to safely remove a hook from a gut-hooked fish.  The information is interesting, and dispels some of what I've always thought about just cutting the line and leaving the hook in the fish.

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/fish/offthe_hook.shtml

The newer hooks do not rust, so every effort should be made to remove them. We have seen

bass with hooks coming out of their side, and hanging out of their vent. There is a really neat

new tool available to anglers that will cut the barb off the hook. The website is:www.hookeater.com

Many anglers are afraid to remove hooks. They think that the fish will bleed out and die. I have

seen more that survived after hook removal that those that die. As with any skill, practice makes

perfect. Thanks for posting that article!

There is a really neat

new tool available to anglers that will cut the barb off the hook. The website is:www.hookeater.com

That tool is $80!!

32251, Yes the tool is expensive, but don't you think that the fish are worth it? Afterall, don't we

spend big bucks on equipment used to catch them? It only makes sense to spend some money

on making sure that they are released in GOOD shape!

32251, Yes the tool is expensive, but don't you think that the fish are worth it? Afterall, don't we

spend big bucks on equipment used to catch them? It only makes sense to spend some money

on making sure that they are released in GOOD shape!

I agree, but from the article it looks as if you wouldn't even need it in most cases.

Those photo's are right out of a  B.A.S.S. conservation powerpoint.  Sat in on its first showing this year.  It does make since and a added tip is to keep a bottle of MT DEW, yes soda next time you have a bleeding fish pour some MT DEW or 7 UP and the bleeding will stop immeadiatly.

I have my timing down pretty well on setting the hook & agree wholeheartedly on C & R, but this:

"It only makes sense to spend some money

on making sure that they are released in GOOD shape!"

No, I don't agree. A $20 tool? Sure. $80, sorry, I'll eat the fish.

Those photo's are right out of a B.A.S.S. conservation powerpoint. Sat in on its first showing this year. It does make since and a added tip is to keep a bottle of MT DEW, yes soda next time you have a bleeding fish pour some MT DEW or 7 UP and the bleeding will stop immeadiatly.

Is this a fact or a joke?  :-?