Sign in to follow this  
jwo1124

City treated pond for vegatation

I am saddened when I saw the sight of a bare bank that used to be home to a thick spread of lily pads around the bank of a local pond. I guess they are trying to "restore" the pond and they feel that by destroying aquatic vegatation used by the wildlife will make the resdients around the pond happy. They labeled plants like hydrilla and lillies "nuscance plants". I'm really upset about this and hope that it will not worsen the fishery. I woul dlike to bring this up to the city hall, but I'm sure I'll just get pushed aside.

A local man did drown in the pond after chasing a soccer ball in a few years ago...but they said that the man couldn;t swim. I guess they blamed the aquatic plants for this unfortunate incident. Its funny how 3 years later they are finnally doing something about it. They also useexamples of comodores (sp?) [the black birds that dive] Getting caught in the weeds, dying and rottening near peoples houses.

I feel when you live next to a natural ecosystem, you must be prepared to deal with nature, which is not always pretty. I hate how man tries to control nature and cannot just co exist with it, respecting nature for the beautiful creation that it is.

They labeled plants like hydrilla and lillies "nuscance plants". I'm really upset about this and hope that it will not worsen the fishery. I would like to bring this up to the city hall, but I'm sure I'll just get pushed aside.  

Hydrilla is an alien species, but water lilies are native plants and I never heard them referred to as "nuisances." I love to fish them, as they often hold bass.

As far as I'm concerned, the people at city hall work for YOU (even though they don't seem to realize that at times) and I wouldn't hesitate to pursue the issue with them if you really want answers. If you are treated rudely, just take it to the next level.

I believe the bird you have in mind is the cormorant, which is believed to hurt the fishing in many areas.

h1200pi.gif

even if the comorant, thanks for clarifying by the way, is hurting fishing in my area, I would be fine with it, since it is part of nature. I'm sure dumping chemicals and killing of oxygen supplying vegatation, and cover for fish is worse than anything a bird can do. I just think its lame since the pond is not really big enough for recreational boating, and I can;t really see anyone swimming there either. Maybe residents who live water front take there boats out and swim in the middle of the pond. But I just can;t see anyone swimming off the shore. I wish all people had the spirit that mostly all fisherman do when it comes to nature.