Sign in to follow this  
jwo1124

Crazy Weather

I don;t know about you guys, but temperatures up here in Massachusetts have been very un-autumn like. The Average High for this time of year is 59-61 degrrees, and average lows are around 45 degrees at night. Well, this past week(starting at yesterday and going back to last wednesday) Hi's and Lows were: 78-59, 82-57, 75-55, 70-60, 73-57, 68-55, 63-35. As you can se the only two days that felt like Fall were last Wed. and Thurs. this was only because a cold front came in. Our Hi's in the third week of Oct. look like Highs for May. and are Lows for look like what the October highs should be.

The weather has been like this all fall though. For the past month we have only had a few days that fell into normal temperatures for this time of year. Lots of 70-80 degree days. It look slike bass fishing season is going to be extended up North  ;D

Maybe global warming really is a big issue.... :-/

Anyway, any other anglers finding that temperatures are warmer then normal in their neck of the woods?

One thing about New England is the weather is so unpredictable. It will be 80 one day in Oct. then 45 the next. Then we'll get snow storms in April.

Yeah they have been the same as you up here just south of Buffalo.

But now were back into the 50s again this week so were back on our Fall schedule.

Will get blasted with snow here in a couple of weeks. Happens all the time. We got slammed in the beginning of October last year with a MONSTER snow storm. So we up here in Buffalo.......we don't get that Global warming propaganda. ;D

Just enjoying the fishing while I can on some of these nice days sprinkled in.

i'm in NE PAand i'm lovin it....The other day I was out throwin my senko with the Sun beatin down on me at 82 degrees and iwas just all smiles.   I fear we are going straight to Winter pretty soon.   Gotta get the snowblower out and tune it up,  YUK!

yeah, I think winter is just going to creep up on us. But thats ok, I'll fish for the stocked trout and salmon for a couple of months until I can ice fish.

Here in Michigan, out of the last ten days we've set record highs on five of them. The last few days have been below average temps. All part of living in the north. It gets stranger every year.

Falcon

Not sure what the temps for you guys are today but we are around 50.

Want to get out so bad today because it is a nice rain free day but not sure if anything will be biting since it has dropped around 25 degrees.

Thoughts on weapon selection?  8-)  

Same with me. Yesterday was around 70, today its 50. I don;t think such an acute change will make a big difference on water temp in the span of a day. If it stays like this for a few days though, and the nightly lows matched with lower high temps will certainly bring the water temp down. But today shouldn;t be that slow, except for the bright sun which tends to send fish tight to cover/strucutre/bottom. Try a C-rig worked slow, hop a jig, bottom bounce cranks, work vegetation if there still is live stuff where you are, Boat docks, drop offs and points near deep water. Down size your baits, and use natural profiles and colors. Nothing too bright or shiny.

This time of year can be very tricky. Just because you have 70 degree days doesn't mean that water isn't still on it's Autumn schedule and at, or around, 50 degrees.  It's much easier for a lake to lose heat than it is to keep it.   If you take a thermometer with you, I've used a floating type tied to a piece of twine,  you might be surprised to find the water already in the late to mid 50's.  

With the days being shorter, just because you have warmer days doesn't necessarily mean the water is above warmer temps.   All it takes is a 6 hour period of below 60 degrees to bring the water down to 60 in no time.  Although, it takes a heck of a lot more to bounce back up.  Fish don't always care what the air temp is.  Pay attention to the water temp which is more crucial in your strategy.  Fronts play a big part on my  presentation tactics as well.  

Well last night the bite was on like Donkey Kong.

No pictures because I didn't bring my camera so your just going to have to trust me.  :P

Again the Fat Ika in Green Pumpkin Black Flake was a killer. Caught a couple of nice 3lbers and a bunch of two pounders. Total fish were ten in 45 minutes. If the fish didn't hit on the intial fall than they hit after jigging it up and down off the bottom slowly. In spurts of 8 seconds of deadsticking.

So you were right JWO it didn't change nothing as of last night but I'm interested on what is going to happen in the next couple days when it stays at this 50 degree mark.

I was also right about working that bottom  ;)

I read somewhere that 80% of the time fish feed close to the bottom. This makes sense. If you are casting from shore and your lure lands in water that is 8-10 feet deep, you'll catch more fish getting your lure down close to the bottom than you would just working the top or middle of the water column. This is unless the water is extremely clear which is almost never the case. I have to put more time into a C-Rig. I think I'll catch a lot more fish since I'll maintain constant contact to where the fish are most likely holding. I just have to work up enough confidence in the rig. I have caught a  little rat bass C-Rigging a Powerbait craw, so I guess thats one point to the carolina rig.

I think that the bottom contour is the biggest piece of strucutre in any body of water.

I was also right about working that bottom ;)

I read somewhere that 80% of the time fish feed close to the bottom. This makes sense. If you are casting from shore and your lure lands in water that is 8-10 feet deep, you'll catch more fish getting your lure down close to the bottom than you would just working the top or middle of the water column. This is unless the water is extremely clear which is almost never the case. I have to put more time into a C-Rig. I think I'll catch a lot more fish since I'll maintain constant contact to where the fish are most likely holding. I just have to work up enough confidence in the rig. I have caught a little rat bass C-Rigging a Powerbait craw, so I guess thats one point to the carolina rig.

I think that the bottom contour is the biggest piece of strucutre in any body of water.

I see the point in the C-rig but I don't have the proper rod for it. I also hate to cast it. Tried it once and really did not care for it. So I go with a split shot rig from shore. Not as good as feeling out whats down there with the smaller weight, but it still does the job.

I hear you on not having the right rod. I need to get a couple baitcasting combos. Baitcasters allow heavier lures to be cast with less effort. Plus, you don;t have the line cut through your finger trying to cast a 1/2-3/4 lure like with spinning gear.