Sign in to follow this  
502largemouth

Glenn is probably gonna change my name to 502questionmouth if I keep this up but....

I gotta ask a few things after this past weekends foray into fishing hell.

I posted before the weekend about me and my friend heading to Nolin.

That didnt happen, its a good drive and he didnt get finished wiring his new electronics the night before so we had to do it once it got light out saturday morning. That ended up causing us to have to leave at around 11 am.

Instead of going to Nolin we went to a much smaller impound called Guist Creek Lake which is much closer than Nolin is to us.

Ok, we got skunked big time, not even a bite. Now I will say that the wind was blowing us around like a kite on the end of a kids string and the water for the most part was in the mid 40s.

We did however find a few spots in the shallows with water in the mid 50s. Not a bite one though.

Bear with me here cuz this really irks me and I have to get it out. So my buddy Dave told us when we got back, "I told you man, the fish just dont bite on the bigger lakes when the water is this cold".

I think thats total horse crap.

He and his dad live by the "the bite just wasnt on today" mentality.

I think that the bite is always on, just sometimes its tougher than others. I also think Jude and I just didnt do what we needed to do to catch em saturday. I did a lot of head scratchin but I know we just didnt do the right things.

My question(s):

Am I right about the bite always being on, its just the angler not being able to find them and catch them?

Will they bite no matter how cold the water?

Why wouldnt they have been in the mid 50 degree water? This is their home, wouldnt they know the water was that warm in spots?

And lastly, he swears up and down that pros dont have to fish this early in the year in water this cold.......to which Jude responded, didnt you just watch the classic?

Correct me if I am wrong but isnt there a ton of tourneys during the winter that arent amateur tourneys, all winter long in fact?

Cyas,

D

Agree all. It is part of fishing and learnig for that matter.Past failures can lead to future success.Getting skunked sucks big time, but if it was just catching then how fun would it be.Could we even call it a sport?

I have a friend that I fish with frequently who likes to throw the same thing over and over and work it the same way always and then get discouraged and simply say "they just ain't bitin today" What a load of horse s--t. I guess it just depends on the individual angler and who is willing to figure things out and learn and who just wants fish to jump in the boat :-?

502 .... have your buddy explain why it has been taking 20 to 25 pounds of bass to win a tournament here on Kentucky Lake the last few weeks with water temps in the mid 40's

I didn't fish Saturday but my son did and only caught one little dink.  A friend from work fished Saturday in his private pond that has a good population of fish and got skunked. His wife got skunked too.  Some days they don't bite as good as others and those are the days that separate us amateurs from the pros.  If we could fish long enough we could probably figure out where they are, how deep they are, and how slow or fast they want the bait.  The pros just don't waste as much time doin' it as we do.  Somewhere, somebody caught fish last weekend even though the bite was off.

I've been skunked three days straight and I'm mad   yes the fish are always biting but man they are just not biting you

Tell your friend to come talk to me.  About thirty years ago my father and I went to Guist Creek but when we got there we could not put the boat in.  The lake was almost iced over.

While we were there an older gentleman came up with a 7 pound bass that he had caught through the ice in the creek just to the right of the boat ramp.