Sign in to follow this  
justinrose40

Fishing a Swim Jig

I have somehow just recently been introduced to the swim jig, I had heard of it before but never really gave it much thought. I fish a spinnerbait a lot on my home lake and they bite it pretty good, but sometimes they won't hit it even when I know that they are there. I've been searching the internet for any info I can find on how to fish a swim jig and/or what colors and sizes are best in different conditions.

The lake I fish the most is a very deep, clear lake with a good number of coves sporting standing timber. Post-spawn I fish the timber a lot with a spinnerbait, but I believe that a swim jig would excel here under certain conditions.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fish a swim jig, or what size and color combinations are best for a deep clearwater lake in south-eastern Kentucky.

I cant really answer on color selction, but I fish swim jigs a few different ways.  Lately, with a slow bite, Ive been putting an orange/green yum craw on a 3/8 oz natural green jig.  Ive found on my particular lake, 2 or 3 sharp, short jerks on the rod, followed by a pause, seems to imitate a crawdad enough to fool fish into a solid hit.  When im imparting action on the rod, however, Ive not been "hopping" the jig, but keeping the rod paralell to the water, to make it seem like the craw is "dashing" in and out of weed cover.  Thats just right now though. Often times (usually in warmer weather) I will "hop" the jig and trailer up through the weeds to get the attention of bass holding above any weed cover.  often times the bass will attack the jig on the fall following a hop.  Also, you can always try pitching and flipping the jigs adjacent to the standing timber and stumps.  Good luck with a fun technique.

We were given a demo of a swim jig in Kentucky on the roadtrip. I was wondering how you would work it as well. I had just assumed you could Swim it back slowly allowing the blade to propell, or hop and swim.

I tested both theorys and got a few hits on hoping it and allowing the blade to circulate. Didnt snag any fish but maybe with a bit more time to test it out and ill shoot ya a pm.

I lived in SE Kentucky and still live and Kentucky. If it was me I would go with the KVD swim jig or a regular arkie style jig. Either bluegill or shad color depending where you are. You can fish swim jigs deep but they are best in shallow water so it would be a spring time or fall thing on lakes like Laurel or Cumberland.

I lived in SE Kentucky and still live and Kentucky. If it was me I would go with the KVD swim jig or a regular arkie style jig. Either bluegill or shad color depending where you are. You can fish swim jigs deep but they are best in shallow water so it would be a spring time or fall thing on lakes like Laurel or Cumberland.

Bassky said it best about the Arky head jig in wood, that's where they shine because the shape of the head deflects well off wood.

The Swim jig with a narrow triangular head is snag city in timber. They succeed more in emergent vegetation like coontail,millfoil or hydrilla.