Sign in to follow this  
stik_in_Texas

How about some advice on this situation..........

Here in north Texas we have had 10-14" of rain in the last week. The lake I fish (Texoma) has risen approx 4-5' or more and it is still coming up. The water is up in the grass and the back of the coves is muddy (of course). The water along the dam is somewhat clearer but I can't seem to find the fish. I have fished the flooded grass and where the creeks run in and also targeted the actual mudline in the coves. The rising water baffles me every year but I'm hoping that some of y'all on the site can give me a few pointers that will at least get me headed in the right direction. I went out with the wife yesterday and all we could find were dink stripers and no bass at all. We threw every thing in the box at them but no luck. Any advice???

Thanks

Benny

Not being from Texas or the South and having any of these situations I might not be the best input.

Assuming the fish are post-spawn I would be focusing on main lake points and ledges outside spawning flats.

I would also be paying attention to to see if the water temp has dipped. Has the water temp fallen a couple degrees? If it has this will push the fish closer to cover and off flats. If the water has become more stained the fish will hide very close to cover and I would be flipping a soft plastic that has a lot of water displacement. I would also be using a jig that has a loud rattle on it.

Even though the water has risen this high, and the fish are in a post-spawn pattern. The fish probably won't be pushing up into the weed lines like they would during the spawn. I would concentrate on the cover that is in the 10-15 foot depth mark. Even though the water has risen the fish probably didn't.

I'll add that Texoma is fed by the Red River.  

Has great smallmouth numbers as well.  

RW maybe able to tell you alot of good info on lakes that are just dammed rivers when they are muddied up due to massive run off.    

were having a lot of rain here in Ohio 2 and fishing has been harder than ever. I have a tournament coming up and the fish are still pre spawn here with a surface temp. of 58-60degrees. I found the fish have pulled extremely tight to cover and fell back to the depth of 15-20ft (water being up 2-3ft.) I was using a jig and pig along with cranks, thats the only thing that produced for me.

Sort of like prescribing medicine on the web, I don't know if this will actually fit your symptoms.

But your compatriot Gary Klein has always preached to go to the very ends and work back. His take, you never want to get beat by someone who went right around the corner. From what you're saying, I think his advice means, despite the dramatic changes in level and clarity, the fish aren't going leave on vacation to Lake Tahoe.

They'll shrug off the new conditions and as soon as they get comfortable with what's there (as Gary says, "conditioned by their environment") they'll deal with the new realities.

That the fish don't respond as well as you want is not your fault, but you're probably stuck--unless you can find, as has been suggested--some fish doing other things where the conditions suit your fishing style better.

if the water is muddy...regardless of the temp..you should be able to find some shallow and right against cover...flip wood and bushes with a brushhog or whatever you like to flip with..you will need to get it right next to the cover though..you might try the same thing with a spinnerbait...not flipping it ofcourse but fishing it right up against the cover...catching fish deep in muddy water can be really difficult, so go after the shallow fish will probably be more productive..