Sign in to follow this  
SneakySnook

spro bronzeye frog

I just bought one of the spro bronzeye frogs and need help on how to use it. I use the horny toad but not sure if I should work it the same way or do I work it slower.

just for your info, its "bronzeye" not bronzeback. Bronzeback is a rod made by Gloomis, i believe. ;)

And good choice, they SRPO is the best frog on the market.

As for using it, very the retreive up alot. Fish it like a popper/jitterbug/spook/anything.

And dont be afraid to throw it anywhere. Brushbiles, slime, banks, lillys, it works great anywhere, even in open water.

I'm sure there are better frog experts on here that can help you, but the way that I fish them is to cast them out to an area of cover.  Leave a little slack in your line, and then snap your rod tip a few times to make the frog chug, walk, or hop.  Then I let it sit for a few seconds, and then repeat.  You work it much in the same manner as you would a "walk the dog" topwater.   When you approach haevy cover, or lily pads, hop the frog on top of the cover, and then let it fall into any openings or holes in the cover, and I usually let it set for a few seconds.  Also, when a fish hits the lure wait until you feel the fish before setting the hook, much like you would with a horny toad.  Unlike the horny toad, and other buzzing frogs, the biggest key to hollow bodied frogs is the pause.

I tell you there is nothing better than a bass busting thru the pads after a soft-bodied frog... the key to success is TIMING... can't wait TOO long or a big mama will tie you up in the weeds... but can't yank TOO soon or you will peg yourself between the eyes with a flying frog  ;D   how I always would do it is wait about a full second.. reel down till you feel a bit of pull and cross their eyes hoping to get them up and over the pads... if you can do that then reel in as fast as you can to keep their head pointed towards you...

good luck... I LOVE frog fishing!

AL

More to consider on the forg fishing is your tackle.  Weak rods and line will lead to failure.  I personally use a 7'6" flipping stick and heavy braid.  Good hooksets and no lost fish.

You will miss fish on a frog, but the right tackle will get the ones you stick into the boat.

Also, frogs are big bass baits.  Big fish like heavy cover, especially thick, overhead cover like weed mats.  I've caught some noice fish on frogs and most hits are viscious.  Sometimes I miss fish just from being caught offguard by the huge explosion.

Good luck!

Brad

This past summer in a club tournament the guy I was with and I were both throwing Bronzeye frog. Over heavy mats of grass and slime. I was using  walk the dog, I twitch it, chuged it. worked it like crazy and got a few hits. The other guy just used a really slow retrieve. just reeled in slowly, and he smoked me. I soon changed. Try as many reteives as you can, the fish will tell you what they like.

the vast majority of my frog fish come when either walking or chugging the bait.  some people say they do real well just working it real erratically with long pauses  but that has not been the case for me.