Sign in to follow this  
IdahoLunkerHunter

North Idaho Needs your Response to ID Fish & Game

Idaho fish and game is having public meetings discussing fishing rules for upcoming fishing regulation cycle. I am an avid fisherman in our area. Everyone that knows me in my town knows if they are having a problem with smally and largemouth fishing to come and ask me. Idaho fish and game is having discussions on releasing any limit and size restrictions on Small Mouths. I am going to absolutely bezerk if this happens. The actual verbatim is:

"Smallmouth Bass: The expansion of smallmouth bass throughout the panhandle has increased concerns that these fish may be hurting other fisheries. As a result, Fish and Game is asking anglers' opinions on whether we should manage smallmouth bass differently from largemouth bass. Possible changes include removing size restrictions and limits on smallmouth bass."

I've attended the first meeting and there is no proven research or evidence that I have seen of this or anyone to explain which species they are worried about. Our lake used to hold one of the best Kokanee spawning grounds in the nation. Over time the Lake Trout and Rainbows have been overpopulating and restrictions have been taken off to raise the Kokanee population. This year 3,500 Lake trout have been harvested, and people are being paid $15 for each head. I believe our local deep trollers who aren't catching the Kokanee they want are coming up with any excuse possible.

If something like this was to ever happen to the smallie bass regulation, I'm going to have some serious issues.

This email : nhorner@idfg.idaho.gov is the contact to email regarding this issue if you cannot attend the meeting. Please help voice opinions about taking size and regulations off smallies. I don't want to see every person out there diminishing my family and friends fishing grounds.

Is this happening to anyone else out there?