Sign in to follow this  
fishwood

smallies on the fly

anyone out there use the fly rod for smallies? It's pretty effective at times, especially on moving water, not to mention good fun. I usually start out with it, and if their coming to the fly readily I stick with it. If not, I pull out the spinning and casting rods.

I have never fished with a fly rod, but on the Mississippi where I fish, I see people cruising by in boats fly fishing all the time.

I do pretty much the same here in IN on smaller streams.  Fly first then UL spinning if they are not hitting the fly, but for me the fly is always a streamer.  They seem to be particularly good in large rock strewn stretches where a Rapala or grub is hard to present.

White, yellow and chartreuse color streamers in that order work best for me.

Yup, I love watching smallmouth come up to smash a Dahlburg diver or other deer hair popper. I also have really good luck on my homemade clouser minnows tied with bucktail and marabou.

I love smallies on the fly. This is a great time of year to wade the grass beds and catch them in the evenings. When the day comes that my health improves its one of the first things I am going to do. Lefty Kreh Rod in a 7wt and a Battenkill LA does the trick for me.