Sign in to follow this  
naturalnbama

fat ika learning curve day 1

Ok, I got my new order of fat ikas in this week and got out to the river this afternoon to try them for the first time.  I first rigged them backwards on my casting rig.  abu garcia reel rod combo that i usually worm fish with.  casted ok but I was casting at a distance like worm fishing.  no bites no luck at all.  Then I tried it on my flippin rod also with casting reel.  That just didnt feel right and I couldnt get the hang of it at all.  Then finally I tied it on my spnning reel.  6' quantum rod 8lb line.  I first started just casting but then  I got closer and tried sorta pitching/flippin underhand and just letting the weight of the lure take the extra line off the reel.  WOW worked great.  I loved the extra feel that I got when I could grab the line with my finger and feel the fish hit it on the fall.   I found a little rock island and just pitched/flipped the fat ika into every little nook and cranny I could find.  I caught two  little smallmouth and had one swim withh it that I couldnt get hooked up.  He was swimmin straight at the boat.  

Once I got the hang of the underhand flip/pitch deal with the fat ika I was amazed how well I could control exactly where it landed.  plus the underhand flip gave it a nice soft entry too.  

If your fishing your fat ika on your bait casting rig you should try the pitch/flip with a spinning rig and see how much more control you have even at a pretty good distance.  Plus being able to hold the line in your index finger tip to feel bites is a HUGE plus.  

I cant wait to get another try soon.

Natural