Sign in to follow this  
reo

Tough day on Erie

Fished what is usually a great area today with what I though were perfect conditions. Tried tubes, drop shotting, jerks...... 6 to 20 feet of water......the fish did not like anything. Oh well :P Surface temp 63 degrees, light warm breeze :o

Only managed 2 fish about 2 1/2 lbs each. :'(

What were you dropshotting with?

Robo worms, dingers, goby imitataions (including gulp) and poorboys darters. Is there something else the I should have tried??

Where abouts on Erie were you fishing?  You don't have to get real specific but in general.  Was it the Western Basin?  

You should have thrown a spinnerbait......... :'(

Where abouts on Erie were you fishing? You don't have to get real specific but in general. Was it the Western Basin?

No, I was not in the western basin but the western end of the central basin. Why do you ask??

You should have thrown a spinnerbait......... :'(

Thanks, maybe next time :-?

Out of Cleveland you could fish the artificial reefs, there is some decent smallie action on those. I can give you gps coordinates if you would like. They are usually marked with bouys that say "ART REEF".

Stadium West reef #1 is 220 feet long in 36 feet of water and is

North 41 30.148' West 081 45.575'

Stadium West reef #2 is 495 feet long in 32 feet of water and is

North 41 29.970' West 081 45.416'

Stadium East reef is 450 feet long in 32 feet of water and is

North 41 35.933' West 081 33.804'

The CCCR reef is of Lakewood 900 feet long in 28 feet of water and is

North 41 30.203' West 081 47.261'

Lorain Polish fishermans club reef is 1500 feet long in 28 of water and is North 41 28.125' West 082 12.694'

The Mountain reef is 800 feet long 100 yards north of the PFC reef unmarked and is 41 28.171' West 082 12.779'

The Stadium reefs are exactly what they sound like The old Municipal Stadium and the others are clean rock and concrete. There is alot of action to be had all around here but you have to find the hard bottoms and transitions. The reefs usually provide some kind of action at least giving up some absolutely gigantic rock bass. I fish many tourneys on Erie and the western end of the central basin has plenty of good areas. If the spot you were fishing usually produces give it a week, sometimes the bass just turn on. Last year I fished a tourney out of Lorain and did not catch a single smallie pre-fishing but, a week later the same spots gave up 24 pounds. Good enough for a fifth place.

Where abouts on Erie were you fishing?  You don't have to get real specific but in general.  Was it the Western Basin?  

No, I was not in the western basin but the western end of the central basin. Why do you ask??

Well, actually I was asking because I am about to spend my first ever week fishing for smallmouth at Erie.  I have never caught one and my friends family happened to have a spot open at the same time my vacation time starts.  What are the chances?  Needless to say, I am beyond excited and cannot wait for Saturday morning to get here.

We will be staying on and fishing around Kelly's Island.  My friend wanted me to see if you were experiencing the bad day near this location.

Thanks for the heads up!  :)

Out of Cleveland you could fish the artificial reefs, there is some decent smallie action on those. I can give you gps coordinates if you would like. They are usually marked with bouys that say "ART REEF".

Lorain Polish fishermans club reef is 1500 feet long in 28 of water and is North 41 28.125' West 082 12.694'

The Mountain reef is 800 feet long 100 yards north of the PFC reef unmarked and is 41 28.171' West 082 12.779'

The Stadium reefs are exactly what they sound like The old Municipal Stadium and the others are clean rock and concrete. There is alot of action to be had all around here but you have to find the hard bottoms and transitions. The reefs usually provide some kind of action at least giving up some absolutely gigantic rock bass. I fish many tourneys on Erie and the western end of the central basin has plenty of good areas. If the spot you were fishing usually produces give it a week, sometimes the bass just turn on. Last year I fished a tourney out of Lorain and did not catch a single smallie pre-fishing but, a week later the same spots gave up 24 pounds. Good enough for a fifth place.

I really appreciate this.  If we are not successful around the island, we might just run to these locations.  Thanks!!!

I really appreciate this. If we are not successful around the island, we might just run to these locations. Thanks!!!

Tom these are not near the Islands they are closer to Cleveland. The closest to the Islands is the Lorain Polish fishermans reef about 23 miles east. There is great fising around the islands give me a few and I will post a map for you!

You can cast cranks, tubes, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits and anything else you want around the Islands and numerous shoals. I like gull shoal and kelleys island shoal and the eastern side of kellys island from the point to the bottom we have had some real good success here. make sure you fish it out into the deep. They may be in 6 feet or 30 you never know.

I fish many tourneys on Erie and the western end of the central basin has plenty of good areas. If the spot you were fishing usually produces give it a week, sometimes the bass just turn on. Last year I fished a tourney out of Lorain and did not catch a single smallie pre-fishing but, a week later the same spots gave up 24 pounds. Good enough for a fifth place.

I have done well in these areas already this year and have chalked it up to "just one of those days". Aggravating though as I have no excuses as it was a beautiful day with light winds but enough to move the boat and decent water clarity. Just couldn't figure them out.

24 pounds and fifth place. One hell of a fishery.

You really need 3 footers to break up the profile of the boat and mask sounds. The flatter the lake the more spooky the open water fish are. The Islands are different you can actually cast cranks and other baits towards shore and work your way out, like on a typical lake

Ya know some of those beautiful days are better spent cookin out with friends and family. I try to make sure of a northwest wind when I go up and at least 1 to 3 footers and clouds do help alot! I really enjoy a little nasty weather. Wasn't the wind from the south this weekend? If it was THAT is why they were finicky.

You can cast cranks, tubes, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits and anything else you want around the Islands and numerous shoals. I like gull shoal and kelleys island shoal and the eastern side of kellys island from the point to the bottom we have had some real good success here. make sure you fish it out into the deep. They may be in 6 feet or 30 you never know.

I really appreciate the information and the maps.  We will be there from this Saturday to next Saturday so hopefully I can catch my first ever smallie  :).  The people I am going with have been going there once a year for the last few years and they know a lot about the islands you posted the map of.  I think they spend most of their time drifting the waters around the large point you are describing.

Well the good part of the Islands is that if the smallies are not cooperating another species will. Walleye, big white bass you even catch jumbo perch fishing smalies around there. Good luck and make sure to let us know how you do.

Good or bad, you guys will sure hear about it.

Hopefully I do alright though.

If I only catch one, thats one more smallie than I have ever caught.