kjfishman

Motorguige Trolling Motor Problems

My Motor Guide Brute 54Bow mount intermittently has the 4 speed quit working, 1,2 &3 act like ther are in 1 or slowest and 5 still works. Took it in to the shop but didn't for fail for them. I have re-terminated the boat wiring at the battery end. , replaced the switch and cleaned the brushes and the commutator. It ran 45 minutes in a trash can no problems. Went out to the lake and tried it and it failed after 15 minutes. After pulling the motor in and out of the water a couple times it started working again. Can't say I trust it very far. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Kent

This will be a horrible description because I do not know any of the terminology. The bottom part of the motor (that attaches to your prop) will have screws that hold the casing together. Open this...The wires that come from the foot control all thru the sheath, past the head of the motor will end in this housing... I have had this problem before and have talked to a few others and it ended up being that the soldering on the wires in this bottom housing had came loose. The reason it would work from time to time is because they are in there enough to find a loose connection, but when it is moved or jarred, that connection is disconnected. If you can solder these wires firmly to where they need to be you shouldn't have any more problems. I am sorry for such a bad description....Don't use this post as a how to guide lol

Thanks! I will give that a try.

Kent

This will be a horrible description because I do not know any of the terminology. The bottom part of the motor (that attaches to your prop) will have screws that hold the casing together. Open this...The wires that come from the foot control all thru the sheath, past the head of the motor will end in this housing... I have had this problem before and have talked to a few others and it ended up being that the soldering on the wires in this bottom housing had came loose. The reason it would work from time to time is because they are in there enough to find a loose connection, but when it is moved or jarred, that connection is disconnected. If you can solder these wires firmly to where they need to be you shouldn't have any more problems. I am sorry for such a bad description....Don't use this post as a how to guide lol

Fixed! Thanks