Sign in to follow this  
airborne_angler

Your thoughts on this idea

Years ago when I was a youth,I had a guy fishing at the pond next to me. He was throwing a Hula Popper and had a leader tied to the back of it with another small cork fly rod popper on it,as a teaser. The guy got a huge strike on this setup,but broke off when the fish ran him into some submerged trees.

I was thinking of the same setup except I wanna change it up a little. Instead of using a Cork Fly rod popper as a tease,I wanna use a smaller  Hula Popper thats a twin to the larger one in the front.

I want to connect the 2 poppers with a length of 50# braid perhaps 12-15 inches in length. Where should I tie the leader onto the larger Hula Popper? Do I tie it to the shank of the rear treble,or to the eye of that hook. Im wondrering how the tail of the larger popper will effect this whole setup.

005-1.jpg

Any reason this shouldnt work? Any thoughts,suggestions,hints on this setup would be appreciated

Its been done before and some people tie a fly fishing topwater behind a fluke or other topwater.

A pro showed this to me many years ago.

Tried it a few times without any luck.

So you give it a try and see what happens.  :)

could you maybe make the front bait somthing with three sets of trebs and take the back treb off and tie to that eye? seems like if you tied near a hook the line would just get tangled in the hooks...

Its been done before and some people tie a fly fishing topwater behind a fluke or other topwater.

A pro showed this to me many years ago.

Tried it a few times without any luck.

So you give it a try and see what happens. :)

I've heard this as well... something about finicky bass will try hitting the smaller lure behind it because its less intimidating or something. Never tried it though...

i take a tiny torpedo, remove the back hook nd tie a 24inch leader to it with a small sammy, zara pup, or spit'n image behind it. When the spots are schooling chasing shad, it is a lethal combo!

put the small one in front.  it's more natural to have the big one chase the small one