Sign in to follow this  

Need some pointers on modding crank lips.

Got some Norman DD22s at a sale. They dive too deep. Want to reduce the lip size and make them run a bit shallower. Belt sander and some fine grit paper...easy job.  Reduced the lip size on a couple with good results.

Before I do any more, can someone give me some advice.

Is it better to reduce just the front lip or the sides also?  What happens when you thin the front edge?  A pointed end as opposed to a rounded end?  Contoured sides as oppossed to straighter?

What modification gives more wobble?  Less?  etc etc.

Any info will be appreciated.  These lures are the big size I want. The shallower running lures are smaller.

Thanks.

Sounds like what you really want is the DD14 . . . the body is nearly the same size as the DD22, but it is a MUCH shallower diver.  I rarely try to get them over 10'.    

As cheap as Normans are, I think it would be worth it to pick up a few and see if it will save you the time and effort of modifying the 22's.  

Any time I decrease the size of a lip on a crank bait, I try to maintain the same shape of the original lip by removing everything in proportion.  I don't thin the lip.  I think it makes it more brittle, and I believe the manufacturer probably makes the lip as thin as possible without jeopardizing the structural integrity of the material that they use.  I use a Dremel to make modifications.  It works great.  

Sounds like what you really want is the DD14 . . . the body is nearly the same size as the DD22, but it is a MUCH shallower diver. I rarely try to get them over 10'.

As cheap as Normans are, I think it would be worth it to pick up a few and see if it will save you the time and effort of modifying the 22's.

The DD14 was not on sale!

Any time I decrease the size of a lip on a crank bait, I try to maintain the same shape of the original lip by removing everything in proportion. I don't thin the lip. I think it makes it more brittle, and I believe the manufacturer probably makes the lip as thin as possible without jeopardizing the structural integrity of the material that they use. I use a Dremel to make modifications. It works great.

I was only talking about thinning the lip right on the very front edge where it cuts through the water, hoping to maintain good wobble.