Sign in to follow this  
MrWrinkle

Huntsman Lake, 6/15

Overslept (I hate it when I put the alarm on pm instead of am...) but managed to get on the water by 6:30am. Picked up some shallow bass early on with the buzzbait before the sun got to work on the water. Then they went deep and it got a little harder. Regardless, in one 15-minute period, I got a 3lbs 14oz LMB on jig (which was my venue best for all of those 15mins...), and then a 5lbs 4oz beauty just a little way around the corner! Very deep fish and an empty stomach. This was probably a 6lb+ fish a few weeks back. So they were my two biggest and I had several more up to 2lbs 14oz. Haven't DL'd pics from the camera yet, hope to tomorrow, and will post when I do so.

Haven't been out so much so far this year but in the past three outings I've had two different 21lb carp (intentionally caught -- they're fun!) and this 5lb bass, so at least I'm getting the quality if not the quantity! :)

[June 17: Edited to add pics]

post-16026-0-28759100-1308330752_thumb.j

post-16026-0-11485300-1308330836_thumb.j

post-16026-0-65248900-1308330844_thumb.j

Then they went deep and it got a little harder. Regardless, in one 15-minute period, I got a 3lbs 14oz LMB on jig (which was my venue best for all of those 15mins...), and then a 5lbs 4oz beauty just a little way around the corner! Very deep fish and an empty stomach.

Very Deep? I have never read a depth of over 13ft or so on huntsman...... I am looking forward to the pictures.

I have been a little scared of fishing huntsman with the heat wave because of that lack of deep water....... Correct me if I am wrong, there is only a rather small pocket about 50 yards long where the water is double digit deep (again from what I have been able to tell from my downscan).

I also wanted to go to huntsman for this reason...... because then I would know pretty much exactly where they would be. After getting blanked the last time I went there (I stopped to "look" while on my way to mercer where I had been doing real well) I was a little down the lake.

My VA pb is from huntsman..... so some decent ones in there.

Very Deep? I have never read a depth of over 13ft or so on huntsman...... I am looking forward to the pictures.

I have been a little scared of fishing huntsman with the heat wave because of that lack of deep water....... Correct me if I am wrong, there is only a rather small pocket about 50 yards long where the water is double digit deep (again from what I have been able to tell from my downscan).

I meant the body of the fish was deep -- not the water. But it was actually caught in relatively deep water (about 9ft). Yes, you'll struggle to find much more than 11ft there and as you say, it's in a ~50yd area.

Will add pics in a minute... I'm getting server errors...

Nice work..... that is some nice huntsman bass, and the biggest looks like a pretty short fattie.....

I walked around Huntsman with the kids for the first time a few weeks ago. I saw a couple guys in a jon boat. Anyone know how/where they got it in there? You think they carried it down the road to the dam? I'd love to get my jon in there.

I have seen two ways guys have gotten a jon boat on there.

1)- Some guys live right there so they literally dragged the boat down to the water through their own backyard...... assume that does not help.

2)- Two guys brought it down the first entrance area with a cart. Think the gate was locked then so had to lift it over the gate, but they definitely used a boat cart to go down the rest of the way.

Hope that helps.

So went to huntsman yesterday afternoon into the evening. Did ok with some small ones, and a really gorgeous 2.5 lb'er. Was just a great color, a really good looking, healthy fish.

I lost one that my best guess was 5lbs +. Got it all the way to the boat, but when I went to lip it he made one last run and went under the boat and broke my line. If anyone catches a very nice fish with a money craw still in it's lip, that was him. The line I was using btw was berkley vanish...... which I know has a very mixed opinion on the boards. Really wish I could have gotten him in the boat and on the scale. because he was a rather large fish, not very long, but looked like a log..... just solid and round the whole way down. Would definitely have vastly improved my pathetic VA personal best.

Water was 89-86 and was it's usual stained, though not too bad.