Sign in to follow this  
South FLA

Okeechobee Flyover

My buddy invited me to fly over the lake in his father's Robinson helicopter and I was amazed of how low the lake is, and how someone would be absolutely insane to run anywhere on the South and East sides of the Lake. Dyess ditch was so low that wading birds were out in the middle of it extending into the lake, with the water up to their ankles! What is amazing is how low the water is yards from shore, I hope the rains continue, because it is looking pretty sad, maybe a horrible duck hunting and bass fishing season ahead.

South Fla, believe it or not if you know how to get out there its some unbelievable fishing right now. My partners cracking them out there.

I'm finally getting better after this rotators cuff surgery last month, this weekend im heading out. The problem with where I am up north is putting in, both ramps at Okeetanti and Scott Driver are very hard to use and with the water at the end, Im going to try Indian Prairie his weekend.

It must have been some sight to see from above while at this level.

Did you take any pictures?

Did you take any pictures?

Took some video and pics off the iPhone, problem is without any reference point it all looks the same. The most impressive was flying west from Pahokee towards Clewiston with the rock reef peaking out and gators just lounging everywhere.

Its amazing how everything looks the same from the air.Its harder then one thinks to get bearings especially in a helicopter.

I went in one once to help a guy navigate around Hollywood, at night, we took off, a couple of 360, and I didn't have clue where we were.

Where is the best place to launch and fish in the lake with the current water levels?

I understand that it is low and hazardous.

In the good ole days when gasoline was not off the chart, it was to your advantage to fly over any body of water you wanted to fish to check it out to see the hidden creeks and ponds and the topography of the system.

Now with Google Earth you can do the same from your home computer, however it may not be in real time. But it is better than nothing.

Take a map of the body of water with you the next time you go out and mark it as to what you are seeing.

If you are in a tournament and want to update an old body or introduce yourself to a new body of water flying over the location is a great advantage.

Unless you crash, of course. :D

In the good ole days when gasoline was not off the chart, it was to your advantage to fly over any body of water you wanted to fish to check it out to see the hidden creeks and ponds and the topography of the system.

Now with Google Earth you can do the same from your home computer, however it may not be in real time. But it is better than nothing.

Take a map of the body of water with you the next time you go out and mark it as to what you are seeing.

If you are in a tournament and want to update an old body or introduce yourself to a new body of water flying over the location is a great advantage.

Unless you crash, of course. :D

That was the original intent, with my hand-held garmin instead of a map, but guess who left it in the camera bag in the car? I wanted to hover over potential hot-spots and mark way-points as well as have him fly safe deep water routes to save them on chip.

Bummer. :(