Sign in to follow this  
SmokeKUA

Cape Girardeau

Hey guys and gals, my name is Brian and im kinda new to fishing. Just these past couple of weeks ive been getting really into it and would love to soak up any tips and techniques. I fish mostly small ponds, the missisippi river and couple bigger lakes. Im willing for a little drive for a good fishing hole too! I use alot of plastic worms (Gulp is my favorite!) some top-water and im tryin to get the hang of jiggin. Anyone know any good places in the southeast Missouri area off the beaten path for good fishin?

I am from Dexter MO. I fish at Otter Slough quite a bit and its a good place to fish, and Duck creek is also a good place to fish.

HAVE YOU BEEN TO LAKE GIRARDEAU LATELY I HERE ITS COMMING ON

Not sure how far you're willing to drive, so I'll work my way from in town to out of town. You didn't mention a boat, so I'll stick to places you can fish easily from shore.

If you're looking to kill time over your lunch hour, there's a little 1 acre or so pond in Kiwanis Park that has a good population of smallish bass.

Cape County Park North and South both have decent lakes, but they get a lot of fishing pressure. I've caught fish out of both, but I've caught bigger fish out of the South lake.

Drive a little ways to Trail of Tears State Park and you'll find a little 20 acre lake. It's pretty easy to fish from shore and has a good population of 12 inch bass, with some better fish mixed in. Fish soft plastics in the weeds in June and you'll have plenty of action.

One of the most unique places to fish is The Block Hole. You'll find it just north of NUT Junction. NUT Junction is where routes N, U, and T connect. Fish as close to the falls as you can get with small spinner baits for white bass, spotted bass, and crappie. It's pretty popular on weekends, but during the week, you can pretty much have it to yourself.

Not far from The Block Hole is Lake Girardeau. I fish there about once or twice a year. I hear there are monsters in there, though I've never caught one. Still, there are plenty of places to fish from shore.

Old plantation access is about 15 minutes west of Jackson. This is an access to the Little Whitewater River, where you'll find a decent population of Smallmouth bass. Don't expect to catch trophies, but you will have a good time. Great for wading.

Out past Patton on 72 you'll find one of the most beautiful spots to wade fish for smallmouth in Southeast Missouri, the Castor River Shut-Ins in Amadon Conservation Area. It's like Johnson Shut-Ins, but on a smaller scale, and a fraction of the fishing pressure. There's also good access to the Castor River in Marquand.

Drive a bit further to Sam A. Baker State Park, and you'll find even better smallmouth wading on the St. Francis River. You won't have to go far to find fish, the waters around the campground are very productive.

Make at least one 3 hour trip this summer to the Current River or Jack's Fork. There are a ton of places to rent canoes, and the fishing is outstanding. Take your time floating and fishin. Most of the smallies are around a foot, with a few better ones mixed in, they fight hard and jump high. Better to go during the week and avoid the drunks.

If you cross the river into Illinois, the closest big lake is Horseshoe Lake. Not really worth your time for Bass, the Asian Carp have pretty much ruined that. However, you can do well fishing for channel cats in the heat of summer.

Good luck!