Sign in to follow this  
hookset on 3

Fall Fishing

My home lake is void of shad and the only prey fish are yellow perch,white perch and sunfish.

The yellow perch seem to stay deep through out the year and hang around submerged weedbeds.

The weedbeds are either hydrilla, pond weed or cabbage.

I have not noticed the bass migrating shallow in the fall, like they do in impoundments with shad.

So, how would you pattern this lake during sunny warm days or cloudy low pressure days.

Thanks, hookset on 3

Great question! I'm kind of in the same situation.

Do you have anywhere that rifraf rocks are falling into the water? Bass will be stalking the rocks from deeper waters.

Maybe a very steep drop off too if you can find one.

This is a clear glacial lake that has a sandy and rocky bottom. One of the most productive spots is in fact, off the side of a steep point with long stalks of cabbage that hold a lot of small bass and perch fry that are two or three inches long. I'm using rapala shad raps,R2Sea cranky M's and tubes.

I can catch a few 2 to 3 pound class fish,but the big bass have disappeared from their usual deep weed bed edges in 8 to 12 feet of water.

Are there any docks on the lake? I also fish natural lakes, some of which are very clear, and the bass always seem to gravitate to the remaining docks in the fall when the water gets into the upper 50s/low 60s. Once the weeds start dying back, docks are the preferred cover, IMO.

Another trick is to follow the warm water. On sunny days in the fall, calm areas that are protected from the wind are usually one or two degrees warmer than the rest of the lake and are often the first places I try. There are times on lightly windy days when the windy shores are warmer, because of all the heated surface water has been gently pushed that way, but this is only when the wind is not so heavy that the waves stir the warm water into the lake. Find the warm water and you'll find some active fish in the shallows. Better yet, find docks in warm protected areas.

Here is a great perch lure. I have killed them on an old lake I use to fish with this Rapala. Try the Yellow perch pattern. I prefer the smaller one, but good luck.

http://www.basspro.com/Rapala-XRap-Shad-Shallow/product/10202084/70191

Bass Thumb, interestingly enough, last week on the south facing north shore of the lake, I caught a 4lber off a dock in like 2 ft. of water. I was using a Heddon swim'n image which is the same size as most off the fry in the lake.

I totally agree about the warm southerly breezes bringing slightly warmer water into protected north coves. In the late fall I will often see good size bass sunning themselves in 1/2 a foot of water right next to a price of wood.

Woody, I use a lot of Rapala lures, as they are a good quality lure for the money and they produce. I had an X-Rap Minnow a few seasons ago and maybe its time to try the Shallow Rap in Perch.

In the spring I was nailing them on a perch colored Count-Down.