Sign in to follow this  
reelnmn

Would You Be Concerned?

Unfortunately this year I have to winterize my boat and call it quits until spring. So I've decided to take some time and thoroughly inspect my boat, engine, etc. In doing so, I found what appears to be a small leak. Here's a picture showing the area. It is located on the transom and there is no obvious damage on the outside or inside. Would you be concerned? And what would be the best way to find the leak?

It definitly needs to be addressed. Most likely either the engine mounting bolts or something mounted on/through the transome below the water line is not properly sealed if there are no large chuncks missing along the edges.

About the only thing you can do is drill a few small holes along the bottom edge of that area it's leaking out of and hope it will drain and dry some, and reseal them later. The main drawback to this is, if you forget the plug or water fills the rear for some reason, then you're right back where you started.

As for finding the actual leak, you may be able to force air into that area and see if you see signs of it somewhere, however, these types of leaks are hard to find and usually, I just unbolt/screw everything mounted inside and outside the transome, reseal and reinstall. The problem is, if water ever got high inside the boat, it could have seeped into that hole and can take years to drain back out. Usually rotting the transome before it ever dries out.

Unfortunately this year I have to winterize my boat and call it quits until spring. So I've decided to take some time and thoroughly inspect my boat, engine, etc. In doing so, I found what appears to be a small leak. Here's a picture showing the area. It is located on the transom and there is no obvious damage on the outside or inside. Would you be concerned? And what would be the best way to find the leak?

YES IMMEDIATELY!

NO LEAKS !!!!

The best way I have found to check where the leak is originating from is to apply a soap and water solution to the area and use compressed air from the other side and slowly work the area while someone else watches the area inside.