Sign in to follow this  
jj2

Jackplates

I have a 2001 triton tr20 with a merc 200 efi and am needing a new jackplate was looking at the 5 1/2" CMC PL65 what are yall's opinion on this jackplate

I would recommend you do the research at other sites also, like boatsetup.com and see what a lot of others like yours are running. I would think on a 20' Triton you would want an 8" - 10" if you have the control cable length to use it. I know they cost a little more but the last two I've bought were Bob's, they are a much better built unit.

it currently has a 10" plate I am not getting the speed I should be I've talked to mymechanic a couple triton dealerships and directly to triton they all said a 6" plate was what I needed and they had never heard of anyone running a 10" plate on that boat

I've never messed with Triton's so you need to go by what the experts say.

Personnaly, I would have a hard time seeing how your 10" setback would cause a loss of speed unless you're having a porposing problem. I guess just using a 6" jackplate explains why I see so many Triton's running down the lake with the motor looking like it's over trimmed. Usually the less setback you run, the more trim it takes to lift the bow, to the point to where you get the right bow lift with the motor trimmed perfectly vertical. I guess they have a huge amount factory setback built in because as heavy as 20' Triton's are, I would think you would need close to 30" of total setback.

the way it was explained to me was that the 10" set back was to much to lift the rear of the boat out of the water kind of like trying to hold a bowling ball close to you or holding it at arms length

Might I make a suggestion?

Call:

Bob Lipton @ performance Propellers

15 Droste Sq

St. Charles, MO 63301-4819

(636) 949-3121 (636) 949-3121

This guy is a master at tuning props, he's been doing mine for years and if you want the most from your boat, he can tell you what you need in the way of prop/prop work and what jackplate will give you the most performance with what your setup. If what your saying is the case, I would think a little extra stern lift added to the prop would be the ticket. I think he is also very reasonable compared to some of the others, and is as good as any. Provided he's still going, I haven't had one done in a couple of years.

One word of caution though, he does not believe in polishing props, so if you think it has to be all pretty and shiney, you are going to be disappointed, he puts a satin finish on his.