Sign in to follow this  
XtremeAngler

Dobyns 3 Power Or 4 Power?

Hey guys,

I have a few questions about my next rod. I am looking at getting a Dobyns DX 703 or 704 for 1/8 oz tx rigs and 1/4 oz jigs, maybe on a rare occasion a 3/8 oz jig. Since I live in SW Ohio I don't see a whole lot of heavy cover, mainly light to moderate wood and rock.We do have some grass, but not a whole lot at the lakes I normally fish. The problem is I can't decide if the 704 is going to be too much rod or if the 703 will be enough. The rods that I currently use are 7' MH and are rated for 3/8 oz- 1 1/2 oz lures, but that is a Dobyns 5 power. So should I go with a 705? I don't really know, I appreciate the help.

Thats a tough one. I wouldn't want to regularly use something 3/8 and up on my three powers. Depending on the line you're going to use, what lure, and how well you can use a casting reel, throwing an 1/8 ounce lure on the four power may be a little bit of a challenge. If your talking about jut an 1/8 ounce weight on a decent piece of plastic you'd be fine. I wouldn't want to try it with something really small myself.

Dobyns tends to rate their rods a little high IMO. The heavy rods fish more like medium heavy. Medium heavy is more like a medium, etc etc.

Thanks for the quick reply SoFlaBassAddict....I normally throw 1/8 oz weight on baby brush hogs, Rage Craws, SK Rodents. So there is a pretty decent amount of plastic I would say.

As long as you're not going to be throwing an 1/8 oz. Baby Rage Craw, I'd say get the DX704. The DX rods have a slightly faster action than the Savvy or Champion rods. With the DX704 you could throw plastics and jigs up to 1/2 oz. comfortably, and also use it as an all-around rod. The Dobyns 4 power rods are extremely versitile, as are, well, the 3 and 5 powers as well. :D

One thing I will point out about Dobyns is that within a series (Champion, DX), they all basically have a similar action. If you really love the action of a DX743 but want something with a little more power and kick for throwing a heavier jig, jumping to a DX744 is exactly what you want to do. It's hard to put into words, but it's something you understand when you fish a couple of different models.

If you think you will throw any 1/2 lure, I would lean toward the 4 power. Any of the series in 733 should do great for what applications you have mentioned. Since I made my move to Dobyns, I have yet to purchase a casting rod ( except cranking ) in seven foot and like the extra three inches in my 733 and 734 models. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. I think what I am going to do is get the DX 704, and a Champion 733. I have been curious about those extra few inches so this way I can try a few different lengths and powers.

The 733C is an EXCELLENT 1/4 - 1/2oz spinnerbait rod and I know many love it for senkos and lighter plastics as well, though I prefer the Champion Extreme models for contact baits. With regards to the DX703 vs. DX704, I recommend going up in length to the DX743 or DX744. You will appreciate the few extra inches when slamming the hook home, especially when fishing jigs. I personally use my DX743 for throwing 1/8oz and 1/4oz shakey heads and lighter plastics (like baby brush hogs) behind an 1/8oz weight and think this rod excels here, not to mention 5" senkos. I do believe that the rod can handle 3/8oz jigs in lighter cover as long as you are not using an oversized trailer, but I would step it up to the DX744 if you plan to throw 3/8oz jigs more than the other baits.

One last suggestion - maybe you should pick up the 733C first and see how you like the length. As has been stated, the power ratings between Dobyns rods, even between different linups, is very similar. The main difference is that the action of the Extreme linup is slightly faster than the Champion linup, and they will be a bit more sensitive as well. Since this is the case, you can try the baits listed in your original post on the 733C and see how it fits you. If the 733C has the power then go for the DX743/703 and if it feels a little underpowered for your taste, then go with the DX744/704. Hope this helps you come to a decision.