tmier

Line Options For Walleye River Run

We are gearing up for the walleye run on the Maumee river here in NW Ohio. It's my 3rd season and I'm trying to put together a game plan with the gear I already have.

I have two setups:

St. Croix ML 7' Eyecon w/ Phlueger President

St. Croix M 7' Mojobass w/ Shimano bantam 201 Curado

We use a Carolina rig with a snap swivel attached to a barrel swivel holding the 6# flouro leader and a floating jig. The only morning I used the Eyecon, the current was too fast and I had trouble bouncing a 1oz egg sinker on 10# Berkley 100% flouro. I didn't feel much until I ran into snags.

For the summer lake bass I got rid of the flouro, too much memory and casting seemed affected. I spooled up with 8# Fireline Crystal and got the Mojobass, spooled with 20# Trilene mono. It was a fun summer.

Now it's almost spring. From last year's experience I understand I have to maintain better contact with the bottom and use a line sensitive enough to transfer strikes through a leader and two swivels.

I will use the Eyecon on low water and light current days (1/4oz to 3/4 oz) and the Mojobass after rainfall (3/4oz +). But what lines should I use? I need durability and sensativity which tells me flouro, and now I know about conditioners that improve their performance. But is flouro better than braid in river current with flat sandstone? Not to mention I'm stumped on weight.

Without guidance I would try a 6# or 8# braid on the Eyecon but am scared to use any braid on the Curado. The heavy set up would get a 14# flouro, with casting distance in mind on high water days since I cannot wade deeper and am further from center channels.

Any advice would be put to test because I am honestly guessing.