Sign in to follow this  
new2BC4bass

New Villain Medium Light Spinning Rod Arrived Today.

Rod is straight. Guides line up nicely. Small drop of glue opposite wrap on guide next to tip-top, but stops at the outer edge of the insert. Rest of the guides and wraps are fine. Rod diameter seemed a little large to me for a ML rod. Compared it to my Falcon Expert Light (casting rod) when I got home. Both are 6'9". Expert is rated for 6-15 lb. test and 1/16-3/8 oz. lures while the Villain is rated for 6-10 lb. test and 1/8-1/2 oz. lures. Expert has a lot smaller diameter.

It is hard to tell the weight difference, but the Falcon seems a bit lighter to me. Should be since it is a smaller diameter rod. Balance with a Daiwa SS-II 2500C (no line spooled yet) is right at the junction of the threads and nut.

Personally I think the 2 go together quite well. I had expected the rod to be a gloss black from pics, but it has a matte finish except from the handle to the first guide.

Saturday should be plenty warm enough to fish, but forecast is for rain and wind. I'll have to wait to see how bad both are. May stop at the Lehigh River long enough to make a few casts regardless. A couple people have complained that the handle is too thin. I'd like to make enough casts to get a feel for whether or not the handle will bother me, and to see what kind of distance can be gotten with lures ligher than 1/8 oz.

I like the Villain's looks. Now I need to find out if it performs to my satisfaction. So far I am pleased with the rod.