Sign in to follow this  
shootermcbob

Pro Qualifier Vs. Carbonlite..last Years Model???

For those that have owned both, Can you tell me what the differences are between the two? Did they cast the same distance with same baits? is one smoother than the other? Which one did you prefer??? Thanks in advance for any help.

They are both essentially the same, except for the carbonlite is a lot lighter, has a carbon fiber handle with EVA foam knobs, a lighter spool, and of course, color. Other than that, they have the same physical dimensions. If i were you, I would get the carbonlite, the only down side is that it only comes in one gear ratio.

Essentially the same performance. The CL is nearly 2 ounces lighter than the PQ. Some can detect a different "feel" to the CL due to the lighter weight and the duralumin main gear compared to the brass main gear in the PQ.

I have 6 PQs and 2 CLs. If I was to start over today, I'd probably have 6 CLs and 2 PQs (in 4.7 and 5.2 ratios).

Thanks for the replies.

Goose52, have you noticed if the carbonlite casts lighter baits better than the pro qualifier?

I have 6 PQs and 2 CLs. If I was to start over today, I'd probably have 6 CLs and 2 PQs (in 4.7 and 5.2 ratios).

Exact same thing here. And I agree the majority would be carbonlites.

Thanks for the replies.

Goose52, have you noticed if the carbonlite casts lighter baits better than the pro qualifier?

I don't throw light baits (<1/4oz) with either reel so I can't say if the CL is better. For a theoretical comparison, I do have the weight of the CL spool on file (18.3grams) but don't have the weight of either type of PQ spool (7.1/6.4 and 5.2/4.7) on file so can't look at that either.

I would think that the CL spool probably is lighter than the PQ and theoretically the CL could be better with lighter baits. For 1/4oz or heavier - I think either would do.

Carbonlite unless you want a cranking or slow rolling reel.