Sign in to follow this  
james 14

Hook In The Slot Or Through The Slot?

On soft plastic baits such as flukes and frogs I've always pushed the hook through so it sat IN the slot on the opposite side to make it weedless. However, I've seen a few pros recently hook theirs THROUGH the slot so the point rested on the flat side of the bait.

Am I doing something wrong here? I'm surprised I never thought of this since there are some of these baits that are quite difficult to get a good hookset on. Hooking the bait through the slot so the point was skinned on the flat side seems like it would allow for a much easier hookset than pulling through all that plastic should the bass inhale it to where the bait curves on it's side and doesn't push the hook out of the slot.

My hook ups got considerably better when I put the hook in the slot and skinned it on the flat part. Now I'm able to use a regular off-set worm hook and my hook ups have even got better. I don't do it any other way now.

Ya, I got the hook point resting on the flat part as well, skin hooked. I didn't even know people did it the other way.

This is the first I've heard of anyone doing that too. I started rigging my flukes sideways last year. Now I dont think I'll do it any other way.

i usually go through the slot first and skin hook in the back. sometimes if i'm runnin low on baits ill flip it over and do it how you said.