Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts
  • My PB:Between 4-5 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Big ol' Lake Michigan

Posted February 04 2013 - 03:15 PM

I see where you're coming from. I chose the revo because i had a few bps bc reels and liked them alright and i wanted to upgrade . I tried it at bass pro and it felt smooth and durable . Generally i won't go after carp, but i fish a port and there are quite a few carp . Salmon over here will bite all of the time .but my main question is , can the revo hold up ? i have $220 in bps giftcards , so that's what im limited to .

#17 Teal

Teal

Fish, Pray, Love

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts
  • LocationNC
  • My PB:Between 8-9 lbs

Posted February 04 2013 - 03:47 PM

Revo will hold up. But not my first choicee. But since ive never seen Lews at BPS, i recommend a Shimano Citica. I own mostly Lews reels, but i still have a Revo S and a Citica, i like the citica better.

BPS doesnt sale Powell either, so id recommend a Shimano Compre. I wish i would have bought the compre instead of the Veritas i have. Veritas is lighter, but the Compre has a much better feel to it.

The pair will should put you about 10a bucks or so over budget which isnt too bad for a good combo.

#18 NWI-Bassin'

NWI-Bassin'

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 03:57 PM

is the citica going to be on the list for the reel trade in ? I know shimano doesn't participate . and lew's doesn't have a contract with bps . just cabela's ( locally)

#19 LgMouthGambler

LgMouthGambler

Live Life 1 Cast At A Time

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationLauderhill, Fl
  • My PB:Between 9-10 lbs
  • Favorite Lake or River:Toho

Posted February 04 2013 - 07:30 PM

Just remeber that not every BPS carries the same stuff. Mine has things you dont see online, and vise versa. Shimano usually does a mail in rebate. I think last year it was $30.

Work Hard, Fish Harder
Fish Shimano, Fish Longer
Keep A Happy Wife
And Fishing Wont Be A Barter <",)))><{

#20 bassh8er

bassh8er

Short Fish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationNebraska
  • Favorite Lake or River:My pond

Posted February 04 2013 - 07:54 PM

Revo will hold up. But not my first choicee. But since ive never seen Lews at BPS, i recommend a Shimano Citica. I own mostly Lews reels, but i still have a Revo S and a Citica, i like the citica better.
BPS doesnt sale Powell either, so id recommend a Shimano Compre. I wish i would have bought the compre instead of the Veritas i have. Veritas is lighter, but the Compre has a much better feel to it.
The pair will should put you about 10a bucks or so over budget which isnt too bad for a good combo.

To each his own, but I actually sold my Compre Cranking rod to get the Veritas Winch, and wouldn't go back after using each rod for a full season.

To the OP, Bass Pro just redid the Bionic Blade line and they now "look" a lot like the Veritas. I can't say I've held one in person to know if they compare, but I'd guess that's what BPS was going for.

#21 DarrenM

DarrenM

Kayak Fishing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,200 posts
  • LocationSoutheast Virginia
  • My PB:Between 7-8 lbs
  • Favorite Bass:Largemouth & Smallmouth
  • Favorite Lake or River:Lee Hall Reservoir

Posted February 04 2013 - 09:06 PM

I need something available at Bass Pro . It's around the corner from me and they have the rod trade-in going on in about 2-3 weeks .

The new Compre is a nice rod, I have the previous model and love it, plus the lifetime over the counter warranty is unbeatable.

But I also owned a Lightning Shock rod at one point. Good rod, easy on the wallet. Since you have a BPS nearby, I assume you've put your hands on various models in your price range? Have you taken your reel in to feel the balance on those rods? BPS will let you do that... A good way to get the feel.

-Darren

#22 NWI-Bassin'

NWI-Bassin'

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 09:24 PM

The new Compre is a nice rod, I have the previous model and love it, plus the lifetime over the counter warranty is unbeatable.

But I also owned a Lightning Shock rod at one point. Good rod, easy on the wallet. Since you have a BPS nearby, I assume you've put your hands on various models in your price range? Have you taken your reel in to feel the balance on those rods? BPS will let you do that... A good way to get the feel.

i've gone in there many times just to compare reels . i really like the revo s . but i get more cash in late march , so i might spend an easy 170 on the reel. i felt the veritas , really nice and i like the st croix triumph . but it feels a little stiff .

#23 Arv

Arv

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • LocationBolivar, MO

Posted February 04 2013 - 10:27 PM

Get the BPS Pro Qualifier/Carbonlite combo. It'll run you 150-160 I believe. Thats a GREAT combo to start out with. That also leaves you plenty of money for good line and some lures to get you started. I'd suggest a 6:1 gear ratio and a MH/F or M/F rod, depending on the cover you are fishing.

#24 Arv

Arv

Kicker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • LocationBolivar, MO

Posted February 04 2013 - 10:28 PM

http://www.basspro.c...12041705055310/

#25 NWI-Bassin'

NWI-Bassin'

Minnow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted February 04 2013 - 10:38 PM

For that much , I could put a revo on a triumph when the rod-reel trade in comes. I'll go in to bps tomorrow and look at it though.

#26 ducky599

ducky599

Fry

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationIndiana
  • My PB:Please Choose

Posted February 10 2013 - 02:54 PM

Powell Diesel

#27 DaveT63

DaveT63

I Love Bass Fishing!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted February 11 2013 - 12:03 PM

I've heard great things about the BPS Carbonlite, and you might be able to get it in your price range during the Spring Sale. Also, keep an eye out in the Flea Market section here on the forum. It's not uncommon to find St Croix Avids and comparable rods for sale used in your range. The Avid is a HUGE step up from the Triumph, and a great rod.

Not sure if these are still available, but at least it gives you an idea what you might find.

http://www.bassresou...-stcroix-avids/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users