bass fishing

fishing rods

Fishing Tips

bass fish

fish for bass

fishing tips

What Line To Use For A Jig Rod

Jig rod line

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#16 Megastink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 06:02 PM

I fish a lot of grass on the northern Chesapeake Bay and Potomac. I also fish a local trophy bass lake with clear water. Clear to murky, I fish 65# Powerpro and tie direct. For short range work (flipping and pitching), I choose heavier jigs. The fast rate of fall causes a reaction bite, which case line visibility has little to nothing to do with it.

I also fish 20# Flouro when I'm tossing football jigs in clear water rock piles.

However, 99% of my jig fishing is on some form of shallow cover and is tied to 65# braid.

#17 bmlum415

Hook sets are free...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 06:03 PM

I use 15 lb seaguar invisx flouro for the Cali delta for jigs and 60 lb sunline fx2 braid for jigs and punching

#18 ww2farmer

Big fat jerk.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,889 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 06:44 PM

Depends............most of the time it's 30 lb braid with a 17, or 20 lb fluoro leader. Shallow heavy weeds, straight 50lb braid, clear water with light cover 20lb braid with a 12 or 15 lb fluoro leader. I will use a 20 or 25lb fluoro leader with the 50lb braid in heavy weeds if there is clear water and some depth under them.

The bee bop and skidoo is Banquet Perdue's signature move.

#19 Darren.

Yak Fishin'

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,130 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 09:24 PM

When I fish a jig over 1/4 oz, it's usually with 15lb P-Line Floroclear, under that weight, it depends....

#20 Goose21

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 09:32 PM

Sunline shooter #14 flouro for me.

#21 mnbassman23

Pitchin Jigs and Catchin Pigs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 11:09 PM

I usually have a rod with 16lb fluoro and another with 50lb braid. 

#22 Sherlock 60

Sherlock 60

It's called "fishing." NOT "catching. "

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 04:47 PM

Straight braid is what I prefer. I don't like the idea of having an extra knot that may fail.

"Somethin's only worth what the next guy's willing to pay for it."  Dear Old Dad

#23 Arv

Big 'un

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,368 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 04:47 PM

Braid for the slop. FC for everything else.

#24 Mike L

Mike L

Improvise, Overcome, Adapt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 05:16 PM

50# braid on my jig rod and 20# Invisix Floro on my flippin stick.

I'll use either or depending on cover, both are tied direct.

Improvise, Overcome, Adapt

#25 Hi Salenity

Hi Salenity

Chine Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,383 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 06:26 PM

I've been bringing 2 jig rods wen I know I'm going to be jig fishing. One has 15# Tatsu and the other has 50# 832 on it. I got a new 7'11" LTB rod over the winter and I hope the guides are large enough I can still use a leader if I want.

It’s always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

#26 kickerfish1

Big 'un

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:21 PM

Sunline shooter in 12# for this guy.

#27 jhoffman

Shake This

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,483 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 08:46 AM

I go 30lb braid with a max of 12lb fluro leader. Ive been known to run 10 and 8 too. Growing up on a spring fed limestone stream that sees more pressure than one could imagine I found out how fast a line change can turn your day in a hurry. I dont like to fish 7x on a fly rod, I prefer 5x as my low spot however sometimes 5x just cant cut it. If I can land a 10lb steelhead with a firecracker up its rear on 5x I can land a bass on 8lb fluro.

#28 Busy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted February 12 2013 - 02:33 PM

I use sufix green color 20# for all my jigging.  I fish a lot of stained waters.  20# is plenty strong and the line diameter is very small.  Braid sensitivity is great for jigs.  People complain that 20# braid is too thin and they experience line dig on the reel.  I've never had a problem with this but I usually dont use my reel as a winch either.  I never use a leader, if I feel like I need one I'm switch to a rod with lighter line on it anyways, usually 6# or 8# sufix mono.  I really need to try yozuri though.

I like to put my jigs right behind a rock or a log and slide them up and down slooooooowly and then kind of wedge it into place and keep the line taut.  No mistaking a strike or pick up with braid doing this.

"Superiority is not just a matter of secret techniques"