---=Martin=---

How To Improve Hollow Body Frog Hookup Ration!

9 posts in this topic

Hi gang!

So I started to fish hollow body frogs lately, I was getting a ton of strikes but no hookups! I used Booyah and KVD frogs, and was getting super frustrated when every fish I would catch got away (well I did land a few, but my strike to land ration was like 10:1).

Well I figured it out!!! What made all the difference was setting my drag as tight as it would go! Been fishing with drag set super tight last week or so and have not lost a single fish!!!

Try it!

M.

It's funny that you posted this, considering I just watched MLF where they showed what the pros used and how they used. Ish Monroe was saying how he takes pliers and slightly bends the hooks up to where they don't sit perfectly flush with the body of the frog. You don't bend them up a lot though. He says it still stays weedless this way, and improves the hook up ratio tremendously. If you have the bass pass for the extended cast of MLF you can watch how he does it.  

1 person likes this

Well I figured it out!!! What made all the difference was setting my drag as tight as it would go! Been fishing with drag set super tight last week or so and have not lost a single fish!!!

Try it!

M.

I had mentioned this in a previous post but glad you figured it out. I still don't crank my drag all the way down but I do tighten it more than the norm on my frog specific rod. Enjoy the topwater action. It's the best!

Are you using braid? Ish was saying that he won't use anything else for frogging. What does he know though? :laugh5:

Are you using braid? Ish was saying that he won't use anything else for frogging. What does he know though? :laugh5:

yep, 50# power pro all the way to frog. curado G on a compre MH/F is my frogging / topwater rig... mostly frogging though :)

I rub Megastrike on the body and trailer legs. Seems to help the fish hold a little longer.

#50 PP, megastrike, and I use Gen 2 Abu Sx, with a Heavy Rage 7ft 4inch rod and your ready for battle.

i started using a Lake Fork frog trailer hook.... it has made a huge difference.  i landed a 4lb'er on the Roadtrip from about 25yards out and it was only hooked by that trailer hook...it is still pretty weedless.  i haven't got hung up on anything.....yet.  :)

i also tried bending the hooks up a little bit...i can see that helping some too...

On my frog rods I remove the grease on the drag of the reel and totally lock down the drag, this will give you the best hooksets and fish fighing power.  Also a 7.1:1 gearing is probably the best for this technique it allows you to get there heads out of the slop and skiing across the water. 

Mitch