Sign in to follow this  
BrianSnat

Bps Bionic Blade

I accidentally snapped my BPS Micro Lite (5' 6" UL) yesterday and need a replacement. I was going to get another Micro Lite but I see the Bionic Blade is on sale for a just a few bucks more.

I was ready to jump on the BB but reading the reviews, there were a number of complaints about the new handle and how uncomfortable it is.

Anybody here have the Bionic Blade with the new handle (non cork) and if so how do you like it?

I have always liked cork and I thought I'd never use EVA but this isn't your fathers EVA, it has improved. Traditionalists will scoff at EVA grips, but for me, either is ok as long as it is the correct thickness. I don't have any experience with the new one but I had the older Bionic blade and if you haven't got used to that handle then you shouldn't have a problem, if you had one previously then you might not like it but as long as you don't prejudge before getting it in your hand you should be ok.

Depending on the age of your MicroLite, you may want to jump on the Bionic Blade just for the higher quality guides. Last year (or the year before) BPS started using the cheaper all-metal guides on the MicroLite instead if the aluminum oxide inserts they originally used. The new ones are lighter, no doubt, but I question their durability.

My Micro Lite is not even a year old so I guess it has the cheaper guides, but after looking at the photo of the handle on the BB I do wonder how comfortable it is. It seems that the tightening nut would be under my front fingers. One reviewer said he had to file down the edge to dull it. Another complained about it causing blisters. Then again a lot of people seem to give it high marks and don't mention issues at all so I was just wondering what people here who use it have experienced

If you read the reviews, it seems as though the majority of the negatives are from people who have owned the previous versions and prefer the cork grip. In my opinion, if you've never used the previous version, the new one will most likely serve you well...especially in an UL.

If you really want to save a few bucks, the MicroLite Glass is only $20, and is available in several different lengths. There's nothing like battling a fish on a fiberglass UL rod.

I have one with cork handle and one with the split grip. The cork is more comfortable but after using the new handle for a while I got used to it. The Bionic Blades are on sale for $20 off right now.

If you really want to save a few bucks, the MicroLite Glass is only $20, and is available in several different lengths. There's nothing like battling a fish on a fiberglass UL rod.

True, but I already have a fiberglass UL rod. I retired it in favor of the MicroLite because I wanted to have a bit more backbone for trolling spinners and horsing trout and smallies out of fast currents.

I have an IM8 graphic 6'6" Medium Action BionicBlade baitcaster rod and it is a very good rod and performs well.

I use it for finesse fishing and small crankbaits on rivers as it takes from 8 to 17 pound test with baits ranging from 1/4 to 5/8 ounce. I also throw Senkos with the rod.

So far, no problems when fishing in close quarters and for docks and piers plus any wood in the water.

Very sensitive rod, too.

Give it a try.

As for the one you broke, take it back and see if you can trade it in for either a new replacement rod.