Sign in to follow this  
logan9209

Off Limits To Bass?

I've been looking at the bird's eye view of my lake off and on. I noticed that there's one place that doesn't seem to hold any bass and I can't figure out why. While it's not a true point in shape, from what I read it is still a point. The northern part is real flat for about 50 feet or so and is at best only 2' deep max (if we had some decent rain). The northwestern starts off shallow and then around 30 or 40 feet drops going into deeper water. I'm not sure exactly how drastically or not it drops. The western part is almost identical except I think it starts going deeper faster but it don't get as deep in the middle. The southwestern slopes off slowly and doesn't run quite as deep. Keep in mind that the deepest part of the lake is only 18-25 feet deep and no one has been able to tell me where that is exactly.

So the question would be this: are there areas of a lake or farm pond that bass, both small and large mouth, absolutely refuse to go?

White is the 1-2 feet deep and light blue the 2-6 feet deep (estimation).

post-38254-0-65706300-1339262622_thumb.j

it might not be that there are not bass there

if you find a food source there you will find bass

1. Food.

2. Oxygen.

3. Water clarity.

4. Places to ambush prey.

5. Moving water.

6. Water temperature.

7. Ph level.

Remember, bass like to "hide" against something. It makes them feel secure even if it is a stickup.

Check the above list and apply it to the different parts of your body of water.

Bring a bluegill rig with you and some live Nightcrawlers or minnows and fish for bluegills, crappie and bream. If you don't catch them then you know they are not in the area.

The warmer the water the lower the oxygen level and the bass will leave the area.

Some places not producing in the summer can be excellent places in the fall and winter.

Do your best to check out the variables and then decide what is going on.

I have a couple of places on my home body of river that I fish on that do not support fish. Once in a while a crappie might be present but its mainly because they are moving to another place. Its very shallow and sandy. It does not produce anytype of plants. So maybe there isn't enough plant life there to make "food" stay there for too long. When I was in the middle of getting my degree in Enviornmental Sciences, I did a paper on bait fish. For the most part, all bait fish will act like a bass. They need all the following that Sam listed above. But do not rule out that they are never there. For example. An interstate always have cars traveling on it. A back country road may have a couple of cars traveling on it from time to time. A bass will always be around an "interstate" if its food travels on it. Sometimes a bass might use a back country road if he sees a baitfish worth going for.I don't have a boat, so I have a couple of ideas, but it might not be too useful. Try useing a fish finder in those areas if the bite stops. You never know, you might stumble onto a pattern. So in summary, I would just kind of sweep the area, but would not stay too long in that place.

Okay well that spot supports the first 3 on the list. There's a lady that fishes for bream and crappie in the evening 3 or 4 days a week. Outside of wind creating a current, I'm not sure if there are any actual water currents. The lake is a no boat allowed lake and no swimming/wading. So that rules out fish finders and depth finders. The area is covered in moss/weeds up to atleast 15 feet out and about 2-4 feet high. Okay, thank you all.

Def good spawn area...do you have a depth finder, you need to locate structure of some sort. Locate decently deep structure such as: trees,stumps, or rock beds...they will be around the area...try fishing the shallows early and late day.

no boats allowed at risk of being evicted