Sign in to follow this  
Jim McC

Securing Battery To Floor

I need to secure my battery to 1/2" plywood floor. The problem is where I need to put it, there's no rib to screw into also. Will just screws hold OK in the plywood? Should I use screw eyes or the little hold down pieces that come with the strap? I was thinking of using 2 screw eyes and a rubber strap. Thanks

It would help if you would describe your boat, the speeds you will be running, and the location of your battery, i.e. fore or aft.

I just put a couple of these in my battery well this week. Well not exactly these ones. I picked some up like this at a local store. But you get my point. I used wood screws and screwed them in to 5/8' plywood.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?part=110819&AMAZON

Or you can get a battery box and screw that to the deck....

It would help if you would describe your boat, the speeds you will be running, and the location of your battery, i.e. fore or aft.

16' flat bottom jon, speed I don't know(25 hp) battery on floor right behind front deck. And yes, battery will be in a battery box. Thanks.

Ok Jim, that's a beginning...if your front deck has a separating wall to the cockpit then, after you secure the battery tray down, also add a strap around the battery to that wall for lateral movement. this can be done with eyelets and a bungee cord at minimum. This will relieve the stress on the tray mounting bolts.