Sign in to follow this  
logan9209

Spinnerbait Skirts

This maybe a dumb question but it's plaguing me lately. A while back I bought 4 spinnerbaits. 1 white, 1 chartreuse/white, 1 bleeding shad/translucent, and 1 sexy shad translucent. The last 2 I paid $9 each for. Everything I read or watched usually refers to the white and the chartreuse. Maybe even some of the red orange, firetiger, or the black red. Nothing ever mentions the translucent type skirts. Did I waste my money on those?

Also, I am a bit confused. Today it was overcast with rain here and there, so I thought the chartreuse/white would be good to use (and the water was a little choppy). Not a hit, not a strike, not a bite. I got to noticing that the water was still pretty clear despite the overcast and waves. In a situation like that, do you still maintain the clear water baits or do you go down one level and treat it as if it was stained?

I think you were good to stay with white/chart. Overcast days soften bright colors and really draws fish from far away.

Translucent skirts with glitter/shimmer are best used on super sunny days. It's trying to produce that realistic baitfish see-through look that solid skirts can never do. Without a sun over your head you won't get that color scheme benefit.

At the end of the day, switch colors until the fish tell you.

All those colors are good. I've been using alot of translucent skirts this season and they've been working real well in the cooler water. Since the water warmed up, the spinnerbait bite has slowed, except for days with a chop on the water or overcast.

Those are all solid colors and I don't know if the colors are why you didn't get bit but... If those are terminators or even interchangeable skirts I mix and match them to whatever size spinner or blade style I want regardless of the head color. For me the spinner bite is super slow since the spawn and I don't really even try any more. For me IMO I think it's to much noise and flash right now to catch them consistently. They just are not interested in spinners where I fish any more.

Yeah, I kinda missed that opportunity of using spinners during spawn. I pretty much stuck with lizards and a worm every now and then. This morning it started out sunny so I used the sexy shad. The water was unbelievably clear considering it's rained off and on the last few days. No bites.

I am thinking that the key to solving my lure problems is not the lures or my technique (although I do need to work on that). I think that it's location, location, location. These spots that I fish I know have bass. But am I hitting those spots at the right time? I switched from the spinnerbait to a white one, then to 2 different cranks (shad family) with no success. Not even a follow.

I can't remember who makes those 2 translucent spinners. They have silver or nickel heads. They maybe Terminator or War Eagle. I looked at their websites but didn't see the colors I have. So I'm not sure. But, thanks guys. The one big concern is that since I'm on a budget I don't want to buy something that isn't going to get the job done.

Another thing I was thinking about is after I replace my Spook that I recently lost, getting a couple of back ups, and getting a few different kinds of the Rage Tails, I want to get different skirts and blades. The problem is that those skirts and blades can cost as much as a pack of worms for the few that you get.

Spinnerbaits work from spring to fall. Skirt color doesn't seem to matter as much as blade shape and arrangement. I carry around 40 spinnerbaits, with different colors and blade combinations. You have to experiment with color/blades and retrieve.

Having different sized blade with you is nice. I'll switch my blades out before fishing based on the weather conditions that day or just carry a variety wiith me.

Clear water/bluebird skys - silver

Muddy or stained water/cloudy - gold

If you want to move the bait faster or let it get deeper without going up in weight, change to a smaller blade.

Slower or shallower running? Go in up size.

As for skirts, white and chartreuse (and some variations of it) are the main colors that I use. Im a believer of the bleeding bait concept so If im buying a spinnerbait, I'll get one with red in it. Otherwise, I just make them with a few strands of red in the skirt. One other color I really like to use a bluegill color skirt.

I make my own spinnerbaits and I make my own skirts for them and I've been using translucent colors ever since they became available. In a river I fish during the summer, the water level gets low and is gin clear, early in the morning you can get smallies to hit a chartreuse spinnerbait and a white one too but as the sun gets up it eliminates the chartreuse and then eventually they will not hit a white bait either. For a long time I just assumed the spinnerbait bite was done and then after a lot of different patterns and colors I found that by going to baitfish type patterns I could still get smallies to hit a spinnerbait even at mid day under sunny skies. What is funny is that white and pearl while similar offer completely different hues under sun light in the water, I've had smallies ignore my white spinnerbait and then crush a pearl one and I was finding that to be the case with largemouth in lakes also. You didn't waste your money, your translucent skirted spinnerbaits will pay off.

Ah....I think the light bulb is going off or it could be just a migraine. Anyways, this morning for instance I really should have used a white-ish spinner until the sun got up good and then switched to my more natural skirts providing it's more sun than clouds. If its more cloudy than sunny go back to my white-ish and if it's mostly cloudy to all cloudy use the light chartreuse/white or the white-ish depending on how calm or choppy the water is. The rest is playing with size and retrieve.

I think I have an understanding of the blade colors. The silver/nickel are for sunny or cloudy and clear-ish water. The gold/bronze is for stained to dirty water. When do painted blades come in? I have a white Strike King Red Eye Special with a white painted willow.

Of course the types of blades determines vibration and flash. Unfortunately I only have one double willow and that's the half ounce sexy shad/translucent. I also have one hammered goldish single colorado firetiger spinner. Other than that, the rest are tandem willow.

Sorry, don't mean to bug. It just that I am really trying to restrain myself from using soft plastics as much. Smalljaw67 is one of those who has greatly encouraged me to start utilizing my other "tools". Yesterday I caught 2 bass on 2 types of worms. Needless to say, I still find myself reverting back. Anyways, thank you all for the great tips and support.