Sign in to follow this  
Nitrofreak

Claytor Lake Any Suggestions

I am taking the family to Claytor lake, leaving this Sunday and staying through Friday.

I would think this would be my best shot at my very first small mouth ever, and a really good time for the family.

I have never been there before but with all of the homework I have done this is what I am thinking.

It looks like the best area to fish would be in Peak creek, other areas of intrest to me look like clapboard, spooky and texas hollows, there are more areas around the coves and state park that offer up some decent shallows, at least for LMB.

As for the SMB I am looking hard at the steeper rocky shorelines especially around and below the state park.

Anyone know the water conditions there etc...

Went out on Wednesday, water temp was running around 77. Water was mostly clear with patches of murky water around higher traffic areas. Fish seemed to be consistently around 12 to 20 feet (I was out midday)

Went out on Wednesday, water temp was running around 77. Water was mostly clear with patches of murky water around higher traffic areas. Fish seemed to be consistently around 12 to 20 feet (I was out midday)

Exactly what I was looking for !!!

Thanx a ton !!!

If you can, take a look at the river right below the dam. There is a ramp there, but it has been closed for repair. Might be open by then.

Is that somewhere I can use a glass boat?

I will definatly check into that for sure !!!

Thanx !!!

No problem. Can't wait for an update on the trip.

I look forward to it, I have just found out they do tournaments on tuesday nights over there, my youngest daughters boy friend has never done one before and wanted to know what it's like.

Well, i'm not sure I want to do one on an unfamilure lake especially since it runs until after dark, but if the fish are game I may just give that a try too lol, it should be fun to say the least.

Thanx again and I hope to bring you a good report.

Well, I have to tell ya the bite was tough, really tough, I heard and talked to quite a few locals there, all were saying the same thing, they could not believe how tough it has been for the past two weeks.

Sunday when we arrived and set out on the water for the first time, it took two hours for the first bite, and the afternoon only yeilded seven LMB with very little size to them, no more than 1.72 lbs.

Monday morning I had one pretty decent bite out of 10 fish until around 10 am, but I lost that fish at the boat, I fixed some grub at the camper and went back out for the rest of the day and fished around Peak Creek area, I got on a bait ball and followed them into a cove late Monday evening, I pulled a couple out but still no size to them at all.

Tuesday morning, my youngest daughter's boyfriend and I decided to go ahead and take part in the tournament they had there, WOW, that was a blast, We were one of the last ones to get there and I drew a #2 for launch... What a start to the tourny, it was crazy !!!

I have to say there are some really good boaters over there, and some really great people, the tournament started out great, I had one on the boat when the bite seemed to just shut off, we pulled in 7 fish total with only one keeper, not only did we find fish but we could see fish, big fish too !!!

Anyway, we backed off a good enough distance and made some long casts to get into the area and wouldn't you know it, only one took the bait, other than that, NOTHING !!! not on the drop shot, Senko, crank bait, frog, or anything else we used LOL.

The one decent fish we did manage to land came on a spinner and went 2.95 lbs, so with the bite being so tough we decided to go for big fish...what the heck we figured why not, out of 38 boats only a dozen weighed in, we had big fish until the next to last bag weighed in with a 3.09 LMB HA HA !! oh well it was a lot of fun anyway.

The rest of the week was a lot of fun in the sun, the fish were deep and we could find them on cover but no one wanted to bite, we could see males and females swimming together, it was like they were spawning, all together we caught 38 fish with the one at the tounament being the largest, and still I am without a Small mouth bass, I know hard to believe, you all have a pretty nice lake there and a lot of fun to fish, I don't know that I have ever seen a lake that had so much cover on it, it was in every cove and every little nook and cranny you could see, really nice place, and really nice people, thanx for the info!!!

Here is the fish from the tourny, I hope to visit again soon.

post-28162-0-57724900-1340622554_thumb.j