Sign in to follow this  
MaineBassFishin

Fat Free Shad?

Anyone use these much? Just picked up a bunch at dicks for 2.99 do I figured there at least worth that, also got a Excalibur super spook jr for 2.99 these good deals you think?

I've used the 6 and 7 sizes of the fat free shad a fair amount. I'm not a big crankbait fisherman, but those are my favorites when I do throw them. I've caught a bunch of fish on them.

Wow, I think you wrote this as my son and I came back from DSG. I picked up a couple of Fat Free Guppys and a couple of Spit'n Images. I just saw the thread, man, what are the odds!

Getting quality hard baits for $2.99 is an excellent deal. As far as I'm concerned, the entire Fat Free series is excellent; I've used the FF Shad, Fingerling and Guppy.

I caught my biggest bass last year on a citrus shad fat free fry on the 4th of July. I had caught 18 crappie on 20 casts, and then hooked into a 6.7 lber

The Bomber lures have always been a favorite with me. They're not the only ones in my tacklebox, but I've never had to tune one...period! They always run true. I recently picked up a couple of the medium running size of Timmy Horton's Switchback Shad and really like them as well.

The Bomber lures have always been a favorite with me. They're not the only ones in my tacklebox, but I've never had to tune one...period! They always run true. I recently picked up a couple of the medium running size of Timmy Horton's Switchback Shad and really like them as well.

Fat free shads are Xcaliburs

The lures I got were packaged as "Excalibur". jdw174 is correct in that the FFS is manufactured by Bomber just like the Spit'n Image is manufactured by Heddon, but back in the day they were both manufactured by "Excalibur".

Never the less, great deals indeed!

I doubt that the manufacturing place has changed as it's all one big company with many different brands.

The Image lures and Fat Free lures were originally sold under the Excalibur brand. At some point they were re-branded to Heddon and Bomber, respectively. As far as I know they sometimes sell assorted lures, including the ones mentioned, under the Excalibur name. They are half price or less and usually are offered in non-standard colors.

The BDF8 is one of my best cranks this year. I've done well with the series as a whole.