Sign in to follow this  
Caulfield722

Which St. Croix Premier Is Best Suited For Frogging?

I am going to purchase a St. Croix Premier Casting rod in the near future and I am wondering in anyone has any experience using this rod for frogging. I want a 7 footer but I'm debating between a medium-heavy or heavy (both fast action) because I am worried that the heavy might be too stiff to throw frogs far enough. Any ideas are much appreciated.

i know there mojo frog rod is to stiff,for me and i use a XH daiwa ballstic for some of my pitchen and frogs, i love my premier cranking rod, depends on how mutch slop you fish, i need a heavy in junk i fish in ponds, but when i am on my home lake, H is probably overkill

Yea i heard the same thing about the mojo slop-n-frog. The main thing that worries me is how the heavy action rod will cast a frog. I know a MH will suit me fine for pulling fish out of the slop, but I'd like to get a heavy if I can get away with it.

I use a 6' 6" premier for my frog rod with no complaints.

I had the 7' Heavy power, Fast action Premier. I hated it for frogging. Too heavy, stiff tip. Poor caster of frogs, unless you are going to just toss a frog out and drag it back across a mat 100% of the time, I would get there MH rod, much better "all around" frog rod. Has enough power to pull big fish out of thick slop, light enough with enough tip to cast and walk frogs all day.

Ok thanks i appreciate it. Looks like I'm gonna go with the MH

I would, especially considering that your "favorite lake" is listed as Shawano. Rarely if ever need anything bigger than a MH out there or on surrounding lakes

Make mine MHF, I think it would be your best choice.

Make mine MHF, I think it would be your best choice.

Qouted for truth.